Nc500 scotland

Kharmon

Hi all , me and my two brothers are doing the noth coast 500 in Scotland we are setting off on 23rd April to the 28th April. Just after a few pointers if any one on here has done it ?

All our cars are pretty juicy my 370z nismo , a GTR and a megan RS.I've done enough planning and we should be ok for fuel but if we take a wrong turn .... I'm thinking of taking along a 20ltd Jerry can for back up ? Another thing is I'm not sure weather the petrol stations in route do high octane fuel , this is my worry as I have never put anything other than shell vpower in her .Will it be safe running normal fuel? I'm not sure if it makes a difference or not but my car has been mapped on vpower after the bolt on mods ? I've heard you can buy octane booted in bottles would this be any use to us ? Any advice appreciated please

THANKS 😊

It all in the planning....... and depends if you are going to do the full route. A 20 ltr jerry (in each car) is a very good plan as is filling up at every petrol station you pass..... They can be few and far between on the far north and west of Scotland, but it's not the moon either. www.visit scotland.com is a good starting point, as is doing a Google search for petrol stations on each road / route your planning to take. Be mindful that a lot of these roads are single track and barely black stuff coated on parts. Oh and in April it regularly pisses down up here :blush: so don't be setting off without good out door clothing. It can be up to 15 points colder up here compared to where your coming from. I would also get booking hotels soon, they are not plentiful on some of the places the NC500 takes in.

Edited by Irn Bru
  • Like 1

It all in the planning....... and depends if you are going to do the full route. A 20 ltr jerry (in each car) is a very good plan as is filling up at every petrol station you pass..... They can be few and far between on the far north and west of Scotland, but it's not the moon either. www.visit scotland.com is a good starting point, as is doing a Google search for petrol stations on each road / route your planning to take. Be mindful that a lot of these roads are single track and barely black stuff coated on parts. Oh and in April it regularly pisses down up here :blush: so don't be setting off without good out door clothing. It can be up to 15 points colder up here compared to where your coming from. I would also get booking hotels soon, they are not plentiful on some of the places the NC500 takes in.

Thanks best get planning the petrol stations haha . Doing the full route pretty much with a few changes. Got hotels sorted . driving straight to ben nevis staying their for 2 nights in a small lodge as we are doing the hike up and down . From their to sky then to Torridon staying at the Torridon lol. Next day heading along the coast to John O'grotes stopping at a place called ackergill tower for the night then setting off down the east coast to Edingbrough for the night not sure of the name of the hotel.Then making our way back stopping the night in Hull at my parents place then back to surrey . Pretty epic drive for me but I'm hoping it will be worth it and the rain holds off haha ? Any recommendations on places to see things to do ?

Lots of places of interest along the route, best advice I can give is try not to just drive past them, stop and take in the views and take lots of photos, the Fairy pools on Isle of Skye is a must, as is Rannoch Moore and Glen Coe, there's an endless list of things to see and visit. Also the beaches on the north west coast are outstanding. Also if if your passing through Inverness, there's fort George military museum, that's a must if your interested in military history. Like I mentioned in my first post www.visit scotland.com is well worth looking at.

Lots of places of interest along the route, best advice I can give is try not to just drive past them, stop and take in the views and take lots of photos, the Fairy pools on Isle of Skye is a must, as is Rannoch Moore and Glen Coe, there's an endless list of things to see and visit. Also the beaches on the north west coast are outstanding. Also if if your passing through Inverness, there's fort George military museum, that's a must if your interested in military history. Like I mentioned in my first post www.visit scotland.com is well worth looking at.

Thanks dude I'll check out the web can't wait never been to Scotland befor not sure why as your roads and scenery look out of this world ! Hopefully the first of many fingers crossed

• Like 1