Sandwich plate new question 23/12

jumping350

Right was pretty unimpressed with how the sandwich plates wouldn't tighten up so got some washers to put in between the adapter bolt and the plate to allow the bolt to clamp the plate down.

Here is picture of washer on gauge plate and tightened down properly now

WP_000289_zpsgvnqzw56.jpg

IMG_1462_zpsuagfwunc.jpg

wasnt happy with how much the washer covered the rest of the plate area and sensor so ground two washers down

IMG_1534_zpswanvvuwy.jpg

Fitted first washer in between gauge plate adapter bolt and happy its not restricting anything now and that's in place against the block.

Now the Mocal was tight but still would move slightly so ground the second washer down so it fits in the gap (circled in red) and the adapter bolt goes on top of it and tightens it down brilliantly

mocal_zpsxdikbrnr.jpg

My question is...

1.The gauge plate is fine with a washer but will this cause a problem with the Mocal plate and where the washer is?

not much info on this so just looking for a bit of advice on this really

2. does it matter what side the oil cooler lines go to the oil cooler?

3.Is this setup ok? ie do I have all the right bits in the right places in order for me to just fill up with oil now and turn her over?

IMG_1464_zpsfvz6mv46.jpg

Everything tightens down fine now with washers in place just being a bit cautious about it all really, Im looking to start her tommorow to check for leaks if it appears I have everything in order from above

Thanks for any help

Edited by jumping350

Thanks Ricky, yeah I would of liked to have used just one but because of the design of sump its flat and wide so there needs to be some clearance for the lines and AN fittings.

Based on your picture (which is really helpful by the way) it shouldnt matter which way round the lines go from the sandwich plate to the oil cooler so thats one thing checked off list

Ok maybe on my own with this one so I went for it anyway.

Somehow the braided line had worked its AN fitting loose with all the wrestling to get it in place..lucky I double checked before I put the oil in :wacko:

Took everything apart again :dry: and re tightened everything and popped everything back in one go this time and double checked everything was tight.

Few pics of reinstall :lol:

Gauge plate with ground down washer on under adapter bolt, not restricting anything now

20151219_145844_zpsfdfzruoj.jpg

and the same method with washer in Mocal thermostatic plate, (really suprised how spot on I was with the washer size it fits bang on B) also doesnt look like it is interfering with anything so thats all tightened down now to

20151219_150926_zps7orrz79s.jpg

20151219_151048_zpskujaptr5.jpg

20151219_150033_zpsevuoajja.jpg

and everything together

20151219_155456_zpsm4d8ptdy.jpg

added 5 litres of oil for now and let it settled, had a quick check and no leaks so far from anywhere, will leave it over night and if the same will add couple more litres and start her up B)

• Like 1

Bloody oil cooler :rant:

So pulled the fuel pump fuse and tried to crank over to get some oil about the place, went to front of car

WP_000367_zpsofxr0w6r.jpg

yep she has sprung a leak, after a bit of an inspection I came to the conclusion it was the 90 degree AN fitting and I was right as there was a lot of play in the shaft where the leak was coming from, luckily I had a spare one in my box of tricks

WP_000366_zpsr9yw2aw7.jpg

I couldnt be bothered to drop the oil again so went for a quicky undo and swap AN fittings/lines process that resulted in the below :lol:

WP_000368_zps1gjnmaeg.jpg

New question!

Im leak free for now so while I was cranking the oil pressure gauge stayed at zero - I was expecting it to rise as the lines etc filled is this not the case?

What shall I do now? I have lost about half a litre of oil on the floor so the car has roughly 4.5 litres and is supposed to be just under 7 litres in total now with oil cooler/lines/bigger sump.

Shall I keep cranking until pressure rises (it did move a little bit from just below zero to zero after about 5 cranks) or add a litre or so and start it?

every time I have checked the dip stick its on full pretty much

Also when I undid the line to change the fitting nothing came out of the cooler it was coming up steadily through the line (which according to trickys diagram is the return line from the oil cooler?)

Edited by jumping350