Question for ya!

xStric9x

Hi guys.

I took the z to the dealership whilst it was still in warranty (june) with what sounded like a moan coming from the gearbox or clutch.

The mechanic and i went for a short drive so i could show him the problem, he basically said there was nothing to worry about at the mo but will log it on the computer so if it gets worse within 12 months to take it back.

Now 6 months on i have the 6th gear syncro (only crunches now and again) but also a nice wherring noise from the clutch when reversing up my steep drive.

Thinking of going back and mentioning the gearbox but i could also say that maybe the noise was also coming from the clutch aswell.

Anybody know how i should play this? :thumbs:

Guest prescience

I stand to be corrected, but I don't believe Nissan have ever replaced a clutch under warranty for this car despite seeing clutch failures at, in my opinion, ridiculously low mileages. Seeing as you are out of warranty and despite what you reported and what has been logged (let's hope it was ;)) trying to get the clutch replaced for free or for discount is a non-starter in my opinion.

Much better therefore to take the tack that what was seen and logged was the start of the 6th gear synchro issue - a known issue and argue therefore that this should be resolved since you reported it and were given 12 month window which effectively, in my view, extended the warranty for this matter since it was reported during warranty; solicitor's (digsy) may advise more here ;)

At the end of the day, to resolve the 6th gear issue privately will cost around £800 (I have the parts numbers/list required and the £800 should include labour) - clutch will be cheaper. if I were to replace the clutch however, I would go for an aftermarket set-up probably JWT flywheel and disc and have done with it :D

Guest prescience
I was kind of thinking the clutch would be a non starter as they would probably say it was just wear and tear. But i think i stand a good chance with the gearbox although my luck it won't crunch when they take it out for a drive :dry:

Crunch is more apparent when warm and for 3rd to 6th or 4th to 6th rather than 5th to 6th changes; a spirited drive and then itting in traffic and then test should 'help' :)

I would say play it from the gearbox angle first as this is a known issue. While it is being worked, ask them to take a look at the clutch and go from there. As has been said above though, and not just with Nissan, it is unlikely you will get a replacement clutch done.... :)

I would say play it from the gearbox angle first as this is a known issue. While it is being worked, ask them to take a look at the clutch and go from there. As has been said above though, and not just with Nissan, it is unlikely you will get a replacement clutch done.... :)

But it should get done cheaper with the box already out ;)

But it should get done cheaper with the box already out ;)

;):thumbs: