Steering Lock

Jp606

Hi all,

I'd always assumed it didn't have one, then when I had my front wheels off today during a service, key wasn't in the ignition and I turned the steering wheel so I could check everything and it locked the steering wheel. When the car was back on the ground with the wheels back on, I can't get it to lock again and it never has before. Any ideas whether this is adjustable or anything? I don"t want to force the steering wheel round too far with the engine off in case I damage something but it seemed I had to turn it quite far when the wheels were off.

I don't know how I never picked up on this before as I've done this loads of times with the wheels off, I guess I've always left the keys in the ignition when I've done it. :shrug:

UH OH. I might be wrong but I seem to remember this being a major issue with 350Z's...

OK I double checked, it's the 370Z that has an issue with steering lock failure. Is the steering wheel still locked now the car is on the ground?

Whenever my GF locked the wheel on my old celica I gave her this advice.

Try to put the key in the ignition, if it wont go in, turn the wheel in either direction, giving it a little wiggle while trying to put the key in.

If you try that in both directions and it doesn't work, let me know.

Edited by -G-

Yeah it unlocked no problems after I locked it with the wheels off, I just can't seem to get it to lock normally as it should. I guess I just need to turn the steering wheel further to get it to lock, but its almost impossible to turn past a certain point with no power. Not sure if it's normal to have to turn the wheel that far though on the Z as I don't on my other cars.

Edited by Jp606