Rumbling noise from rear

davey_83

Morning Zed world

I have an intermittent noise from the rear, I have the usual high level brake light or tailgate rattle with isn’t an issue however even less likely is a rumble from the rear, possibly N/S. Car driver perfectly, goes, brakes and steers great. Occurs at low speeds, generally 1st and 2nd gears on smooth ground, however i do feel bumpy ground aggravates it. To describe is it sound like when you see an unfortunate car drive pass with a completely flat tyre, that rumble type noise. Checked my rear tyres and they’re fine and hold pressure well. Noise doesn’t increase or decrease with speed, so possible not hub bearing or stepped tyres.

Checks done so far are:

Tailgate hatch and boot pops open correctly.

All wheel nuts are tight.

Boot interior trim mounts, tight and secure.

Spare wheel, jack and tools secure.

Rear struts are secure and hold the tailgate up no problem.

Rear diff oil is at its max mark and golden in colour.

Next check will be exhaust heat shields then suspension arms, but it doesn’t sound like an exhaust type rattle or suspension with would tend to knock not rumble?

Anyone had a similar issue?

David

Edited by davey_83

• 3 months later...

I've got a similar, if not the same problem, I find that it's a rattle on really rough Tarmac. Don't think it's a shock as it doesn't make a noise on the bigger bumps. Mines nsr too. I do believe there's only one ball joint in on the rear, possibly its that, I just haven't seen any threads on here other than this which relates. Have you found out yet?

Mine was rumbling on small bumps and rough road but wasn't my shock either I was puzzled as drop links and arbs replaced as wanted a change but still had the noise. I though it made a hollow noise like a spring moving

Lucky for me I was having buddy club exhaust fitted and when up on ramps my old system was very close to diff and other parts of the car, exhaust hangers were shot and I think it dropped 5-10mm so causing me these noises as exhaust wasn't sitting where it was supposed to sit

Installed new exhaust and my noise of rumbling had cured

Good luck with sourcing your noise if your ocd like me it gets on your nerves lol