JDM Key remote program solved

TimC

I finally managed to get my JDM to store the key ID codes after much searching and trying different sequences, so thought I would share it with other members in case they are having similar issues. Not sure if this applies to all JDM or just early 350 JDM models, mine is a 02/03.

There are many different ways online that tell you how to do UK and US cars but none of them work on the JDM models, the main difference is that you do not get any flash of lights/hazard/indicators to tell you when it is in programming mode. The key to the JDM is that it unlocks the doors when it enters program mode.

1. Sit in the car and lock the doors using the drivers door lock switch on the door handle not the one with the window buttons. The lock on the control panel only locks the passenger door but the door switch in the handle locks both doors.

2. Insert and pull out the key 6 times within 10 seconds until the door unlocks (no lights flash) do not take out the key when the door unlocks. The door unlocks when you insert the key for the sixth time, If you take the key out and insert it again it will not program.

3. Turn the key to the acc postion and then lock the doors with the same button you used in step 1.

4. Push the unlock button on the key and the doors will unlock if succesful.

5. Remove key and open doors.

I have tried this a number of times and works everytime, I just need to test it with a couple of keys or an extra keyfob but I suspect I will just need to lock the door and put a key in ignition and follow steps 2 and 3.

I searched and could not find this method detailed here anywhere so hopefully it will help other users :) I just need to see if I can find one of the ebay keyfobs now that works on the JDM frequencies to use as a spare.

Edited by TimC
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

The only thing I can think of is that there is no signal coming from the keyfob, in step 4 the car needs to see the signal from the keyfob so maybe it it is not receiving anything. Have you made sure the battery is OK, the batteries in my keyfob do not last very long before the range drops and eventually they stop working. Probably best to replace it before you try the key learn.

Also is it the original keyfob, JDM keyfobs work on a different frequency to European ones so I think they will not work. My car is also a 2002/2003 model so it should be using the same procedure., although I have seen a slightly different method somewhere. I will try see if I can find it.

Do you hear the doors unlock after you insert the key in the lock for the 6th time in step 2?

Edited by TimC

If the door unlocks its in the correct mode for programming, I had to try different variations at that point of pressing buttons. I looked at other programming methods and just tried different things until I got it to work. I would have thought yours was the same as mine, maybe keyfob is faulty or flat battery. Is it the original key?

Edited by TimC

Only thing I can think of is try different key sequences after the doors unlock, I found mine by trial and error after about 20 mins of trying things. After it unlocks its in program mode, I have seen things posted like pressing unlock button 3 times and stuff like that. Look at other methods and try them, I found a partial answer on an Australian skyline forum. Seems that all JDM cars may not be the same.

• 5 years later...

I know this is an old thread but I hope someone else has had the same issue as me. I can get to step 3 but no further because only the passenger door unlocks so I'm unable to relock with the same button as step 1! 

03 fairlady