Knocking from under car when using Clutch at low speed

jonty88

Hi all,

So the other night after coming back from a bank holiday trip I noticed a hollow knocking sound coming from under the car. Ive been listening for it over the last couple of days whilst driving and have noticed it only occurs at very low speed (below 15mph) when I dip and release the clutch, around the biting point basically. You cant here it at higher speeds but it is causing me some concern as to what It may be. The car is an 08 and has only done 45,000 miles so ide like to think it wasnt a clutch problem! Has anyone ever experienced this or know what it could be? The car is due for a service in October so if possible I may wait until then to fix it if not serious,

Cheers

Does it do it when not moving if you dip the clutch up and down?

What about bringing the clutch up to the bite point with the handbrake on so you load it a bit. Does it make a noise then?

Thanks for your reply mate. It doesnt do it when stationary nor does it do it with the handbrake on, only when moving or crawling

If thats the case it may be drive line related as in prop, drive-shaft, wheel/ hub assembly etc.

Could still be the DMF though

This assuming its not suspension related and making a noise as you go over undulations in the road.

Need to be on a smooth service to make sure

Edited by gsexr
  • Like 1

If thats the case it may be drive line related as in prop, drive-shaft, wheel/ hub assembly etc.

Could still be the DMF though

This assuming its not suspension related and making a noise as you go over undulations in the road.

Need to be on a smooth service to make sure

Thanks for your reply mate. It does do it on a flat surface (drive way) at very low crawling speed. As I said its only when moving at low speeds and I cant here anything when sat idle.

Im just hoping that this isnt to much of a costly issue to fix. The noise does seem to come from the very centre of the underside of the car so cant imagine it would be suspension or hub related.