Soon to be a new owner (I hope)

I'm really in love with the car; it's addictive and I find myself wanting to drive it all the time. Sadly the weather lately hasn't really been great, and I've learned that the Zed demands respect in the wet. Which makes me love it even more, to be honest. My brother in law owns an E92 M3 and loved driving the Zed, I think the fact it involves the driver so much more than many modern cars is fantastic. You really need to think about what you and the car are doing all the time. Also...the noise!!! I have no idea what exhaust I have (if any eagle-eyed members can identify it I'd be grateful!) but it is perfect. Inaudible at tickover (you can feel the engine more than you can hear it), a lovely growl when cruising and a full-on bellow at full throttle. Driving around, regardless of speed, feels special in the Zed.

I'm going to check the tyres when I can, as although they look okay I was expecting a little more grip. I couldn't get any power down in third on Sunday, was doing about 40 and eased the throttle in but the good ol' TCS light was going mad. The road was wet (and, apparently, quite well known for being slippery in all conditions) but it did catch me out a little. I really need to get a good drive in on some familiar roads!

Anyway, here are some pics! I wanted to give her a good wash, but well, I guess that'll give me a good excuse to post more later.

enter.jpg

rear.jpg

front.jpg

int.jpg

There are a few more pictures at the link here, including several showing that mysterious exhaust in case anyone wants to have a look!

• Like 1

Love that new car feeling where you're just itching to get behind the wheel again :)

I've found 3rd gear can still pull harder than the rubber can grip, but the tyres mine came with are cheap ones so will be interesting to see how much that changes when I get some good shoes on.

I've done a trip to the shops just for tea bags...

It's odd, I never really took much notice of the weather before I bought the Zed. Now I'm one of those people who rolls their eyes when they see rain! But yeah, really it's just a weekend car - much as I love it the Z really isn't a good choice for transporting the wife and 3 kids around! I prefer it that way, though - there's nothing like driving an insipid, 4-speed automatic car/van thing to make driving the Zed feel even more special!

It's running Avon ZZ3s with the standard sizes (225/45 and 245/45) and they seem like a pretty well-regarded choice. I'll see how things change when I get to take her out in dry weather. In the meantime, yes, I will certainly be careful. Thanks again for the welcome!

Haha that'd be interesting. If I took the boot divider out I guess maybe one could lie down in there, one in the front seat and...one in the glove box, maybe? Actually I am looking for a decent child seat, my eldest (6 yo) really wants to go out in the car and going for little cruises with him next to me will be magical. Just need to be careful as I don't think the passenger airbag can be deactivated.

Haha that'd be interesting. If I took the boot divider out I guess maybe one could lie down in there, one in the front seat and...one in the glove box, maybe? Actually I am looking for a decent child seat, my eldest (6 yo) really wants to go out in the car and going for little cruises with him next to me will be magical. Just need to be careful as I don't think the passenger airbag can be deactivated.

nono, you said your wife and 3 kids, so the passenger seat is already taken :)

my last boss had a VW with a W engine in it (2 V's slapped together), his son used to call it the rocket car :)

Ah yes. I suppose I'll have to concede defeat on that one! I did take my daughter to Sainsbury's last night, though. She loved it and I have to admit pulling into the parent & child parking in the Zed was pretty funny. Got some disapproving looks that changed to surprise once I'd helped my little girl out of her car seat.

Was the car your boss had a W12 Phaeton? I seem to remember reading something about that engine, sounded pretty monstrous and a bit of a sleeper!

Thanks for the kind words, Davey. I fell in love with the car when I saw it. Seems like I now need some new tires (plenty of tread left but the fronts have cracks in them) which is an unexpected expense but my own fault as I should have been a little more vigilant when inspecting the car. Head over heart and all that.

• Like 1

Ah yes. I suppose I'll have to concede defeat on that one! I did take my daughter to Sainsbury's last night, though. She loved it and I have to admit pulling into the parent & child parking in the Zed was pretty funny. Got some disapproving looks that changed to surprise once I'd helped my little girl out of her car seat.

Was the car your boss had a W12 Phaeton? I seem to remember reading something about that engine, sounded pretty monstrous and a bit of a sleeper!

Thanks for the kind words, Davey. I fell in love with the car when I saw it. Seems like I now need some new tires (plenty of tread left but the fronts have cracks in them) which is an unexpected expense but my own fault as I should have been a little more vigilant when inspecting the car. Head over heart and all that.

W8 Passat estate, and it most certainly was a sleeper! He also had it converted to gas so it was cheap to run too. He used to get kicks from sticking the back of fast cars in an estate, the look of confusion as they failed to leave him for dust :)

Hehe, I can imagine the looks you got in the child parking zone, though from what I've seen you might have been one of the few people there using it properly!