Throttle control relay woes

steveytt

Guys,

could do with a little collective thinking as im coming to the end of my tether with this ruddy car!!

Car is a 2003 350GT (Skyline) and is chucking P1122 and P1126 codes.

I was having issues previously which an ECU reset and throttle body clean would resolve, however i came back from glastonbury after it had stood at home for a week and hasn't come out of limp mode since.

I have replaced the throttle body (old one sounded like a spring was rattling inside it) and am trying to reset the codes and perform Idle relearn etc, the problem that i am having is that the codes will not clear with either a negative terminal removal or the pedal dance, they appear to with the pedal dance but come straight back on restart.

I have replaced the throttle control relay in the IPDM but still no joy.

The car is revving to 2200 in limp mode, before the throttle body change it was stuck at 1000.

What am i doing wrong or have i missed something major?

Have you done the throttle valve re learn process?

It is really important you follow the procedure exactly, but once you do that it 'should' sort it.

Clearing the ECU won't do it, you have to force the throttle to re learn the position.

Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning

Like it says here:- http://www.350z-uk.c...e__hl__throttle

Having said that the faults P1122 Electronic Throttle Control Actuator and P1126 Throttle Control Motor Relay

Could it be an issue with the throttle itself?

This post may also help if you read it:- http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/49851-fault-codes-p1122-and-p1126/

Edited by bamdc2

Thanks for replying bamdc2, I have performed the full ecu through to idle learning process many times over the last week since the throttle body arrived to no avail.

Should the eml stay on all the way through the process?

I have previously done this successfully but can't remember when it cleared in the process. At the moment it is still in limp mode when I get to the Rev up 3 times part which I don't believe is correct.

I think it blinks through the whole process until you get to the the idle air volume learning stage where it will stay on:-

"8. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 20 seconds until the Check Engine Light (CEL) stops blinking and turned ON."

on stage 10 of the idle air volume learning (throttle position learning) I made the mistake of turning the ignition off then back on in order to start the car. You have to keep the ignition on just like you have through the entire process and just start the engine (while ignition is still on).

Obviously if it didn't work an engine light will appear again once you start the car.

If this re learn doesn't work for you then I would suggest looking at the points in the other post/link I put above e.g:-

Failing that have a close look at the throttle control actuator connections.

Then check out the throttle control motor relay.

If the relay is okay then try a new throttle control actuator.

Edited by bamdc2

That's the next step, picking up a multimeter today to check continuity at the actuator plug, it is a new actuator that is installed.

Bought nissan data'scan last night, cleared the fault codes and they came straight back on after a few seconds.

Here's a quote from the service manual:

"If DTC P1122 is displayed with DTC P1121 or 1126, first perform the diagnosis for DTC P1121 or 1126."

You need to check the function of the Throttle Control Motor Relay on the IPDM E/R before you troubleshoot the actuator itself. The relay doesn't provide power directly to the actuator. Instead, it provides power to the ECU, which the ECU uses to provide the actuating signals to the throttle control motor. You can see the schematic in the service manual.

• 7 years later...
  • 11 months later...