AC troubles in my Sharan

gareth29

Hi all, been having some problems recently. So I ended up checking the electromagnet clutch on the front of the compressor - it was dead, so I ordered a new one and fitted it. It seemed to work ok but when I was driving with ac on it made the engine jerky (I now think this was the ac compressor clicking on and off repeatedly. Anyway, I stopped using it for a while until one afternoon I put it on and left it on for about 15 mins. I then started getting some funny hot smells thru the vents which I convinced myself were other cars and then finally the power steering failed.

The drive belt had come off the pulleys because the tensioner pulley had melted!! also when I stripped the compressor clutch off, all the epoxy resin holding the magnet coils had burnt away! I diagnosed this as a faulty slipping clutch which had overheated and so ordered a complete new unit and fitted it.

I all seemed to work well at first, but I noticed the air was not getting cool. Looking at the compressor it only seemed to be working very intermittently now, which would cause the lack of cooling. I then thought the air gap in the clutch must be too great, so today I removed the only washer that was in there (the original one) and tried it again. At first it seemed great and worked constantly with lovely cold air, but after about five mins it went to just working intermittently again - aaarrgghh!!!

I have had the system gassed and leak checked so no issues there. I should also say the the ac has never worked since I bought the car in 2005!

I have attached a video. Anybody out there with any suggestions?

You say its working intermittently......have you checked that you are getting a constant supply voltage to the clutch?

Whats causing it to drop in and out? Is there an air temp stat interrupting the circuit? I'm guessing really :shrug:

Not worked for at least 10yrs...........you maybe pushing your luck with it then.

Maybe you would get a better response if you posted this on the VWAudi forum

If all else fails....wait until the winter then sell it!

Cheers, its clear that something is interrupting the current to the clutch, seems at pretty intervals as well - whether its a faulty sensor I dont know. I'm going to look at how the unit on the Z behaves.

The vw/audi forum is pretty hopeless really, but I've posted on 2 galaxy forums cos its basically the same car.

More research required I think