Dot 5.1 which one ?

Ges161

Hi ,I will be having new discs and pads and brake lines fitted very soon, I have been asked to get 2ltrs of brake fluid, is there a preferred Dot 5.1 over any other brand, or are they all pretty much the same.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

G.

5.1 is pretty much the same stuff

I drive min hard on very curly Welsh roads and never had an issue with 5.1 fading

Maybe if you track it, it may matter, but it's way better than the old stuff which would fade under heavy use

Go for braided hoses

I fitted Hel ones and it really improved the braking with Brembo drilled and grooved discs and Brembo pads

My fixed pipes had all seized too so swopped for copper

Fit new stainless bleed nipples only 25 quid and no corrosion problems

Never scrimp on brakes or tyres they keep your arse out of the hedges

Better to pay big money for these than getting your car repaired after a bang

• Like 1

Thanks SMB, yeah I am having Hel braided lines fitted to, I have read a lot of bad things on here about them, but the guy fitting it all recommended them, so that's what I've gone for. Fingers crossed lol.

Our track cars have been happily running on ATE super blue for a few years now, have never experienced fade. And super blue is actually DOT 4.

Only thing to consider really are the dry and wet boiling points - DOT5.1 has slightly higher minimum boiling points than DOT4, but they're only minimums - for example ATE super blue is a DOT4, but has higher boiling points than some DOT5.1s.

other thing to consider is how susceptible to water absorbsion they are, which will lower the boiling point - although pretty much all brake fluids have service intervals around 2 years (even the racing fluids)

• Like 1