Another rear arch rust thread!

AdrianL

Hey guys,

I have a little bit coming through on the lip, and a couple of bubbles. Is this worth fixing now or waiting until it gets worse? It's barely noticeable so I'm not bothered right now - but is it going to cost me down the line when it gets ugly if I don't sort it now? Some pics below.

nCIQUPsl.jpg

coBAJw1l.jpg

Cheers,

Adrian

• 1 month later...

Hi, The bubbling indicates it's gone through from the inside to out corrosion and it's near the petrol cap. I'd have it treated sooner than later as bodyshops are a bit wary of welding near petrol tanks and so might want to take it off the worse it gets which would be more time and expense. I'm trying to keep mine from getting to the stage where it goes through part way up the panel like that. The lips on both my back arches had bit of rust on so for the last 2 years I've had them and the insides rubbed down and treated but yours will need a section cutting out and a new section welding in. The alternative being rear quarter panel which is a big job. I asked for quotes on both these options should it come to that and was told I'd be looking at £600 per arch for the weld option and he said he wouldn't even like to say about the other option!. I've had both front wings replaced due to the inside to out corrosion because once it's like that they can't try and treat it.

I can show you some pictures of what it'll look like if you leave it... it isn't pretty. and the other side won't be far behind it!

in the end I was lucky to offload my zed without rectifying any of the rust, but it would have been worth a fair bit more if I had!