Replacing OEM discs for T2's + Hawk ceramic pads

addario

Hi there guys!

This is going to be my very first attempt at doing anything to a car that's more than feeling up the tank!

The 350 is the 1st proper car I've owned and I've always been mechanically minded but never applied it to my previous vehicles. Now that I decided to take on most of the work with this car upon myself I'll start by replacing the rotors and the pads.

I've got two questions for you guys:

1. I haven't got a socket set at the moment so this will be the time to buy one. Which sizes will I need to replace the rotors? Taking into account taking out the wheel, taking out the calipers etc?

2. Is there any value in my used OEM rotors? They are in pretty good nick to be honest, the car has only done 22K miles from new. The only reason I'm replacing them is... well... I just want to get something new I suppose :)

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!!!

Edited by addario

The way you've worded your post doesn't sound like you know what you're doing, so er - be careful :lol:

What ever year your car is - look at the workshop manual:

http://www.nicoclub....ce-manuals.html

Then choose the br.pdf to read - for whichever year it is (bolt/nut sizes will be in there).

Secondly - there IS a guides section on this forum - have a look:

http://www.350z-uk.c...orum/35-guides/

Or on the US one as well:

http://my350z.com/fo...ension-diy-459/

Buy:

torque wrench - seriously, over or under tightening stuff up could be asking for trouble (1/2 drive, 20-200nm approx will be fine for most jobs - around 500mm long should be ok).

A can of Plus Gas will help with removing stuff (WD40 is shite).

A tube/tub of copper grease.

It's an easy job, however - I managed to snap bolts when removing things in the past it's easily done unfortunately. (It's also why I bought an impact wrench :lol:)

Edited by RobPhoboS

Thanks for your reply! I "currently" don't know what I'm doing, you are quite right!

But I'll be educating myself before I have a stab at it and I think we can agree this is not rocket science, it's doing / undoing a few bolts, making sure a few surfaces are perfectly matched etc...

Anyways... Any chance in getting a few quid by selling the OEM discs?

Try and stick to the 6/hex sockets rather than the star looking ones - they tend to slip causing rounding of bolts... nissan bolts like rounding far too easily. ;)

Impact sockets tend to be better as well (the black ones) but sizes from 10-21mm will be fine.

No idea about the discs though.