Bose Hack (AUX)

CJRamze

Hi Guys

I just got myself a new 350Z after the last one sadly met with a barrier at low speeds (Slippy roads!)

Shes been purchased by a member on the forum whos repairing so hopefully it will be back on the roads soon.

Anyhow, I purchased a 350Z HR 2007 In black, Also the previous owner was clearly a member here!

I've got MPSS all round, Z badges (Instead of Nissan) and wrapped door handles.

It has the standard head unit at the moment and it has an Aux cable that runs of the cubby hole.

For the life of me I cant get this working.

I turn my music on, Plug my phone in, press 'TAPE' and nothing happens.

No error messages, No wirrs or clicks

Nothing, It doesn't even interrupt the radio that's playing.

Are there a certain series of steps that I'm not aware of?

Edited by CJRamze

I've got nothing in the tape deck at the moment. Its empty, Am I being Silly? Does it need a tape in there to work?

I've got one of those Tape to Headphone Jack dooberrys I could plug that in on my way home tonight.

That's not always the case. I don't need a tape in mine, you can remove a spring and piece of metal whilst doing the Bose hack. This removes the need to have a tape in the deck and thus improves the sound quality. Only reason to leave it in is to keep the tack deck operational.

Try it with a tape and if that doesn't work you'll need to follow the tape deck rest procedure - its a PITA. I always give up after 10 minutes and then come back the next day to find its working :shrug: .

You need to perform the tape deck reset every time the battery has been disconnected.

Search the Forum for the Bose hack guide, I imagine its a sticky in the ICE section.

Edited by Randy_Baton

If you have no tape in the cassette I don't really see how it would affect the sound quality other than the physical drive motor noise. Interesting though to hear there's an addition mod though to negate the need for the cassette, I didn't know that.

My previous 350z had a nice JVC unit from the previous owner (Which is still in the car)

The new one just has a bose unit. I want to get the ARK exhaust first and then maybe the Parrot RNB6 head unit in a few months (Whenever its released) hopefully this will tide me over.

I will try and put a tape in and see what happens!

Just came back to say thank you very much.

Took a broken casette to mp3 thing and cut the cable, Slapped her into the head unit and away we went.

Sound doesnt sound as good as the other JVC unit I used to have? I assume that it had a better amp?

Have you tried playing a Cd? If so how does the quality compare?

Using the blank cassette adds a layer of interference as the tape motors engage and the head unit will also turn on an pick up any static.

You can disengage the tape mechanism fairly easily but you need to get the stereo out. If the hack is done correctly and your source music is of a decent quality it will match the quality of the CD player. Most people don't rip mp3s at CD quality though.

Quality is OK.

It'd probably be alright for most people but my keen ear picks up on the occasional bit of scratchy noise or slight distortion.

Its not as good as my previous JVC Dual Din setup but its not too far off.

A previous owner has done this trick to my Bose unit and even disabled the tape desk mechanism. It wasn't working at first but the reset seems to have gotten it going. It's nice to have the feature until I get to replacing my head unit.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Get an old cassete and take the magnetic tape out so it is essentially blank so that nothing touches the tape head to make noise. Then put it in and Turn on the DOLBY NR or something in the sound menu and the noise will be gone

Edited by psion