Newbie 2 problems (battery and hood)

Roms

Hello there.

I have bought a 350z a month ago and i have 2 problems. (2003 fairlady import auto)

I was wondering if you could help me.

This morning, i have started the car after 2 weeks without any start. the engine has started but i had to go back in the house and i have turned off the engine.

When i have tried to turn on the engine again, it didn't worked.

The battery didn't had enough power so i have decided to buy a new one. http://www.yuasa.co.uk/ybx3053-ybx3053.html (it says it's for japanese model)

When i arrived a t home with the new battery i have opened the hood and i had a look at the battery.

It's not the same size :( . i mean i think it can fit but my current battery is a lot smaller.

Should i try to install it?

If yes , i think i need to open the windows a little and i should not close te door , is that correct?

or should i have to connect the battery of a different vehicle first to never have my vehicle without power?

The same day i had a second problem.

Impossible to close the hood properly. The mecanism is looking a little rusty, should i start from there? or did i missed something (a specific way to close the hood or a common problem?)?

Thanks a lot

Edited by Roms

I would have tried charging the battery myself - if I don't use mine for a couple of weeks, she'll not fire without a charge (also new owner, import/auto, with only winter experience thus far) -cold kills my battery! .....

The Immob was off right!? ... Just checking!! :D .. 1st thought when reading your post!

As for disconnecting - considering mine was totally flat (on more than one occasion) - I know no reason why you can't off it and connect a new -> Interested, I have to say, how you'll open the windows with no power!? (and why the need?)

Mine opens with the key if the keyfob doesn't ... so not sure about keeping the door open either!?

I think the point mine goes, I will change it for UK battery - whereby a need to buy some UK terminals too I believe.

The bonnet/hood opened, so it must close, unless something broke when you opened it!!!... again, daft question maybe- but where is the battery cover at the moment!? ;) ... > left something on the block/catches etc. (we've all done it!) :)

It closes like any other I've seen - check that top hinges are not loose and that it's moved position when you opened it .. I'm 100% mine has not always been on the car! - was out of align when I 1st saw her, and there are marks on the points where it's been stored / stood up.

Hi Jud1

thanks for your reply.

Yes the immob was off. the first time the car has started, the second time the starter was a little slow and third time the lights of the dashboard stopped (battery was at 8volts after the third try).

I was thinking to charge the battery but when i have seen it, i have noticed it's a very small one, and the power of this battery sounds very low compared to the one used by other forum members (i had a look at each of the 22 pages of this technical jdm forum)

I have taken few pictures this morning.

The current battery:

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2015/10/1425631507-img-0449.jpg

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2015/10/1425631514-img-0451.jpg

But thanks for your advice, i will try to install the battery this weekend, i was wondering if the windows were going down with the key or not.

I was thinking, with the central locking system, maybe the vehicle needs power everytime to not loose the key data.

About changing my battery for an uk version, it's something i'm considering but i don't know which model i should buy and which terminal converter i should buy.

Also i have taken a picture of the hood locking system

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2015/10/1425631525-img-0450.jpg

i have checked this morning , there is nothing blocking it, i will try to use some wd40 on the mecanism tomorrow

Edited by Roms

Welcome

Re the windows the idea is that you open both doors when reconnecting the new battery

This is so the windows don't go up to far on battery reconnection

Once battery reconnected you put windows all the way down, shut the door, put windows back up holding switch for 3 seconds.

Then check the windows go up and down to correct hight

This is to reset the pinch feature that allows the window to drop slightly on opening and closing of door

• Like 2

thanks guys

Piranha, thanks for the tutorial, i will follow it tonight or tomorow morning :)

Your welcome

This may help as a reference

http://www.ehow.com/how_12196478_removing-battery-2003-nissan-350z.html?dmsp=manual

Although it doesn't mention the hold button on window up for 3 seconds, this apparently resets the window motor sensors

• Like 1

Hi Piranha, i have used your link, and i have changed the battery this morning. :)

Also i was able to fix the hood mecanism with wd40.

Thanks a lot for your help :)

Edited by Roms
  • Like 2

Hi Piranha, i have used your link, and i have changed the battery this morning. :)

Also i was able to fix the hood mecanism with wd40.

Thanks a lot for your help :)

Great news, glad you got it sorted

Got to do same again myself next week, fitting a larger battery.