Would battery with low cranking amps cause this?

Piranha

Car is fitted with a a sterling one aftermarket alarm .

On cold start up the car cranks almost starts, then dies causing electrics to die (nothing lights up on instrument panel) until I press a button on the alarm fob at which point hey presto, cluster lights up again car starts first time.

When this occurs it can cause issues with the setting of the auto windows i.e they do not drop when opening the door.

knowing that the car has a requirement to reset the windows on fitting a new battery this leaves me to believe there is a momentary loss of connection to battery on cold start up.

Checked the battery and cranking amps are at 340cca, looking around I'm sure our cars require around 600cca.

So I'm wondering if on cold start up insufficient cranking amps cause the aftermarket immobilizer to kick in.

What size cca battery's are recommended for these cars, could it be as simple a fix as replacing battery?

Its a JDM import with small posts negative post closest to engine positive beside front wing.

Edited by Piranha

Sounds like your battery could be on its way out, have you measured the voltage, if you want to fit a larger battery is just a case of changing the size of the battery connectors and a slight adjustment to the tray and clamp, I did a write up about it on the Skyline forum, I see if I can find you a link.

Here you go, http://www.skylineowners.com/forum/236-vq-electrics-ecu-ice/146836-battery-cable.html

Edited by Tricky-Ricky
  • Like 1

Sounds like your battery could be on its way out, have you measured the voltage, if you want to fit a larger battery is just a case of changing the size of the battery connectors and a slight adjustment to the tray and clamp, I did a write up about it on the Skyline forum, I see if I can find you a link.

Thats great thanks.

Wife has car at the moment so wont have a chance to test voltage until tomorrow, the amount of cca seems very low for such a powerful car and problem only started when the cold weather arrived, I suppose this is why for the rest of the day it cranks first time with no issues.

I will start looking at new battery, I saw on the G35 forum that 582cca is the recommended amount, if that's the case I'm 242cca down which is a lot, I'm running reverse cam and dash cam so guess that's not helping much either.

The Bosch S4 026 is 70ah and 600 odd amp hours plenty for the VQ, and fits just right in the tray after removing the hump in the bottom, I was running full audio install plus reverse camera, and various other gadgets.

Thanks is that the bosch silver, ive also had exide suggested, they both seem to be the same price how much are the cable clamp converters, do they just bolt on to existing clamps or would I be replacing positive and negative cable?

Thanks

For the positive I just used a wing nut type bolt on as the + just un bolts from the std small clamp, and the negative I would advise getting the type with a cable clamp and cut the old small clamp of and fit the new one, but make sure you have enough cable.

• Like 1

Thanks to Tricky-Ricky & King Rob for their advice, I have now got this conversion sorted with a bigger battery, its made a noticeable difference so was well worth getting this done.

Edited by Piranha