Centre console and door cards, theory of bigger mods

Hammerz

Hi,

I've been thinking of doing a couple of things with the interior for a while but don't pretend to know a lot about the technical part of this.

Firstly I was thinking of modifying the centre console, essentially redesigning it from the gauges at the top through to the back of the arm rest. Has anyone seen/done this already? I'm thinking new gauges, new head unit/sat nav area, new dials, arm rest redesign with cup holders, new buttons.

If I sourced new dials, buttons from say a gtr/merc etc would I be able to wire in or is it not that simple? I'm assuming a hazard light button from a connector point of view is the same from one car to the next, but it might be more complicated depending on what's being replaced?

Secondly, looking at redesign of the door cards, mainly to 1. Incorporate colour of leather seats into the door cards and 2. Have an updated alternative to the buttons and scratched plastic area. Again, anyone seen/done this kind of thing?

I appreciate there are plenty of topics where people have painted or wrapped or dipped interior parts but I'm thinking more of redesign. Anything I do would be with an 'as standard' finish to it.

Cheers

If you're doing the centre console consider these factors.

I'm in the process of adding new heated seat switches. There's a wealth of wires on the oem module/switch in which the option on fleebay or other sites don't provide the correct answers. So I've actually got a switch that may not work, and we need to understand the purpose of each wire for the heated switch.

I'm sure you'll utilise existing fixing points, which is fine. But beware of changing the dynamics of how it's put together and how it comes apart.

I've made my central console to be one section, rather than two. Normally you'd have the gear surround and upper dash as two separate parts. These I've designed to be "as one". Which is great for what I was doing, but is very tricky and with the parts I've joined it creates weak points.

92626B6F-0078-4811-BA29-C49573212E3C_zps61vx2euy.jpg

A755DC83-2D35-46AD-B9BB-4613BA6E282D_zps3s6iednu.jpg

9DD61B9F-D57C-4DD0-AE6E-7970BF98E9A6_zpswqbzsdk8.jpg

261C6150-C685-4800-AFB0-C7C36D57179D_zpslo9xvgb9.jpg

257D00F7-69EE-4696-BD34-2656A616338F_zpsllxlcsva.jpg

Go for it, if you think you've got the prep, design and finishing skills I'd say go for it.

• Like 1