Advice on reading fault codes

Wayne370Z

Anyone offer any advice on the following. It`s for the wifes Mokka 1.7D but I presume it`s the same sort of thing with most cars and I think there`s far more competent and technically minded people of here than the Mokka forum.

Every now and again it will display a "Service soon" message on the display. It isn`t due a service till July and I first thought they had just not reset the mileage/service interval after the last one as it had just about reached 20K.

However, have also read that it can throw up this message for minor issues and so bought a code reader and downloaded a couple of free apps to try before taking it back to the dealers.

I have this morning tried it but they both just show no fault codes, no pending fault codes and no permanent fault codes. Am I right in presuming that this means no faults currently and no previously stored ones and, if so, why is the fault not there.

Is it perhaps down to the apps and the paid for ones will be better at bringing up any faults ?

Cheers, Wayne.