Rebuilding mechanical LSD from 100% to 60%

Kev T

I couldn't find a lot of information on doing this modification so decided to catalogue my progress for anyone else thinking of changing to Mechanical LSD.

The stock Nissan diff is a viscous coupling which gets its resistance to spinning just one tire from steel plates turning in a sealed drum of silicone goo about the consistency of snot. Although Viscous LSD's are good for smoothness and quietness, they not great for putting the power down due to all of the slip they have by design (sort of like the torque converter in an automatic transmission). The silicone snot also breaks down quickly and the diff loses what little effectiveness it had in a few track sessions, so i recently purchased a Kazz 1.5 LSD and felt that 100% breakaway torque was too high for road use, to reduced that torque to 60% the clutch plates have to be repositioned and here is how i did it :

th_DSC_2597_zps70522c1e.jpg

Before removing the 4 flange bolts put 2 G clamps on to prevent stress on c/sunk bolts as they are removed.

th_DSC_2598_zps1eb7f7c8.jpg

th_DSC_2599_zps97122f0b.jpg

th_DSC_2601_zpsdbacd9b3.jpg

This is what it looks like when the case is taken apart.

th_DSC_2602_edited-1_zps977add38.jpg

the driving and driven clutch plates are fitted alternatively from the factory to give 100% grip

th_DSC_2605_edited-1_zpsc378fb96.jpg

The clutches are deactivated by pairing drive clutches and driven clutches together, rendering them not in use. You can see here that i have put two drive and two driven clutches together. This reduces the total amount of lock by 20 percent.

th_DSC_2607_edited-1_zpse5e62490.jpg

th_DSC_2606_zps18ca9549.jpg

I have deactivated two more sets of clutches per side which has reduced the lock by 40 percent.

th_DSC_2610_zps1f12d1e5.jpg

Lastly put the 2 halves of the Diff case together carefully lining up the splines and clamp up then reassemble the 4 c/sunk bolts first removed and torque to 10 -15Nm.

That is the lock reduced to 60% this of course must be done on both sets of clutches.

This is my first time of disassembling an LSD so if anyone sees a mistake don't be shy to chime in.

• Like 4