370z Car Covers

oldbonesmcgee

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone would recommend any particular car cover or brand?

I see that there are some for £25 and the Nissan Official one is £313.

I'd probably be aiming somewhere in the middle, it's only for 2 months over Winter.

Obviously I want what everyone wants....something good quality that doesn't cost the earth.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Dan

This is one of my pet subjects: :D

I've been covering my Nismo with a Halfords all seasons cover for a year now. It's been a brilliant investment, keeping the weather out and making the car less visible just in case it gets any unwanted attention. Now it sits there clean, dry and unnoticed, which suits me fine.

It does exactly the job I need and costs only £50.

(The parking permit window you see on the attached picture was sewn in using some clear vynl ordered from Amazon.)

I love being able to wash the car when I have time and then take the cover off a week later to drive the car and its still nice and clean, whereas I used to wash it and it was mucky again in half an hour! (You need to ensure the car is clean before the cover goes on to avoid scratches).

The plastic buckles on the straps are very light so it can be a pain to chuck them far enough under the car to reach them when you want to attach them at the other side. The solution is dead simple though - cut the buckles off, shorten the straps and tie them to the wheel spokes - works perfectly.

Cover on:

Cover_zps8fa4bd1c.jpg

Cover off:

Nismo2_zpsf14dffc8.jpg

The large size fits the Nismo well and would be the recommended size for a standard 370. Link below:

http://www.halfords....car-cover-large

Edited by sipar69

Thanks for the info Sipar! What is the inner lining like on it? Soft?

Now I'm torn, a good review on the £50 halfords one, and £150 for the offical one! haha

Looking at the picture of the official one, I notice that it actually says 370z on it. Part of the reason for the cover is also to avoid unwanted attention (we've had a car stolen from the address the car will be sitting at previously).

Hmmmm decisions!

Cheers for the help guys!

Thanks for the info Sipar! What is the inner lining like on it? Soft?

Now I'm torn, a good review on the £50 halfords one, and £150 for the offical one! haha

Looking at the picture of the official one, I notice that it actually says 370z on it. Part of the reason for the cover is also to avoid unwanted attention (we've had a car stolen from the address the car will be sitting at previously).

Hmmmm decisions!

Cheers for the help guys!

I think the official one is an indoor cover.

I will be looking for a cover shortly when my garage is pulled down and rebuilt. Halfords one looks good for what I need.

The lining is actually pretty soft. It's not a fleece lining like some of the more expensive covers but it's pretty good. Put it this way, I'm pretty obsessive about the state of my car and I've been looking very carefully for any signs that the cover is marring the paint since I got the car and started using the cover just under a year ago. I haven't noticed anything. It should be fine so long as it's not put on a dirty car.

I originally intended to use the cover as a tester before graduating to a more expensive one but I've been happy enough to stick with it.

My girlfriend and I had a debate about whether it would attract more or less attention. In reality nobody gives the car a second look with the cover on, which I like when I'm not around to keep an eye on it. :)

PS - If using the suggested Halfords cover - the seams go on the outside - otherwise it's inside out.

Edited by sipar69

I've found my halfords one lets damp penetrate and traps grit that wasn't there when it was put away (permeates through maybe or blows up?). Washed and waxed my Celica and packed it up in a new halfords cover and checked it 3 months later, tide marks where water has sat trapped and gritty stuff at the tide mark edge?

Interesting. I believe the cover is meant to be completely waterproof but they are semi permeable to let condensation out. I've not had any problems but I am taking the cover off on a weekly basis to drive the car. I have noticed that my cover billows in high wind but I expect they all do - maybe some water blew in?

What I noticed when I researched which cover to get was that people who had the really expensive covers sometimes have problems with them. At least with the Halfords one you're not losing much money if it doesn't live up to expectations.

Edited by sipar69

Agreed. Sorry to hear you've had some problems with yours

I do notice a small amount of moisture under the cover if I take it off early morning sometimes, or after a very heavy shower, but it seems to evaporate very quickly. I just put it down to the cover being porous to let condensation out. Never noticed any pooling of water or grit marks though.

Like you say, my view is that it's better than having the car completely exposed to the weather - which would be my only other option.

If leaving outside and you really have to cover I wouldn't get anything too flash as it may go walkies, this is what happened to my friends 991 cover. He was so gutted as spent hundreds on it.

I have sent my mate details for the £50 halfords one. Thanks for the insider knowledge gents. Got to be worth a punt for that!

The one with the 370 logo on is the indoor stretchy cover. I have had this for my Zed for some time now. Great fit, nice and soft. No good for outdoors as it would act as a big sponge.

Edited by robin c
  • Like 1