Japspeed Cats

Zcat7

About 3 years back I replaced the back box and centre section on my '05 GT4 with a Japspeed K2. I have to say that the fit wasn't great and took a bit of persuading but it's worked well with a good engine note and sensible volume. Last week the car had it's MOT and only scraped through on emissions as I have a hole in one cat (or somewhere near it) so they need to be changed for next year. So here are my questions:

1. According to Japspeed if I buy their cats and Y section everything should be a good fit and just bolt together. When I mentioned the difficulty I had previously they said that they only heard of problems on 06 models (I believe). Does anyone know if mine being a GT4 means that it shares some 06 characteristics? I believe the engine is the same (296bhp) so is this the/a problem?
  2. Does anyone have any advice regarding Japspeed fit and quality or if I should look at another system for the cats/Y pipe?
  3. Has anyone changed cats and Y pipe at home on ramps and is it a soul destroyer! The garage thought that it is likely to be a bitch of a job...

To be frank I'm skint and looking for cost and functionality rather than performance!

I've got japspeed cats and they were an arse, I've got an 04. They're flat out lying to you though because I sent them a set back which were faulty as they didn't fit. They told me the same and I know of other people who have had the same issue.

Once mine were modified to fit they've been fine though.

• Does anyone have any advice regarding Japspeed fit and quality or if I should look at another system for the cats/Y pipe?

Best advice, especially if it's a GT4 is treat it to something nicer.

Some buyers have been told that their cars must be bent, it makes no difference what year car you have or what model.

Do some googling on the said supplier or search on here and you will see that they are not the best.

Right, better start saving... The Cobra system looks to be about 50% dearer than what Japspeed are quoting me but I guess its as they say: you buy cheap, you buy twice :(

AliveBoy, sounds like a nightmare!

What about doing this at home? I have a good garage of tools but no high lift ramp and no Oxy-Acetylene torch for stubborn nuts.

in 3 years the nuts won't be too bad. The main difficulty at home is the top nuts between the manifold and the cats. I used about 5 extension bars and went in from the top of the engine bay. It's possible at home, but would require some patience. Jez a horsham developments only charges about £70 to do them if I recall correctly.