Nismo Flywheel from US - compatibility and necessity of affiliated parts

Stan350Z

Hi gents,

I'm new to this forum and slowly getting familiar so hope this is the right place to post - the wealth of information on here has already helped my brother and I extensively with the recent purchase of our 2005 DE Roadster.

The clutch in our Z was very spongy when we first bought it so following some research we took it to Horsham Developments where Jez and Craig sorted us with a braided clutch line and flushed the system with Motul 600 which has solved the issue.

On a gentle track experience however I found when pushed the clutch started to slip under stress, and also 5-6 consecutive laps later it started to smell burnt.

I'm under the impression it's on its way out so have already bought an Exedy Organic clutch ready for replacement when it's far gone enough (it drives fine with no slippage in normal conditions, even when occasionally driven enthusiastically).

Here comes the question. I've been reading a lot about solid mass vs dual mass flywheels, and I'm very close to ordering a Nismo flywheel for the DE from the US. It seems to be the best compromise between performance and minimum chatter. I also have a friend who is coming over next month so can potentially get away with shipping and duty costs, which begins to justify the £400 price tag inc. some bits. I'm assuming a flywheel designed to fit the US LHD Z will fit the UK spec as long as it's designed for the DE - would anyone here know otherwise?

Second question is the supplier in the US recommends also purchasing an uprated clutch pivot ball and updated Roller Bearing Pilot Bushing. They're coming in at around £30 for both but does anyone here know if this would be necessary and whether either would already be part of the exedy clutch bundle?

Finally should I consider any other parts before eventually booking it in for fitment?

The car is currently completely stock except for the updated clutch line and some hardened suspension bushes. I plan to fit a filter, plenum, sport cats and uprev at the same time as the clutch so should hopefully be targeting for 310-320 bhp.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

The Nismo fly for a USA 350Z VQ35DE will fit the equivalent UK model..

Uprated ball pin and pilot bearing are both highly recommended as is a gearbox fluid change.

I think that your target numbers are a bit optimistic.

Alex. :)

Thanks a lot for the prompt response Alex. Will probably think about a true dual exhaust of some kind thereafter, but wanted to keep the mods subtle to start with at least. Got a young toddler to budget for afterall!