decat rattle - probable cause identified, what is it and how much?

ostego

Had new tyres fitted and whilst the tyre shop had the car hoisted up for tracking i asked them if they could have a look for what could be causing my rattley decats.

He had a quick look and then showed me where he thought it was coming from.

There are two cylinders underneath that have a sort of criss-crissed/woven metal texture to them i found this picture of them online

www.vividracing.com/catalog/wm.php/images/jicypipe.jpg

He tapped one and it made no noise, but the other made a noise as if sonething was loose inside if it. He said it could be as simple as someone taking it off and removing a bit if debris inside.

Could someone tell me what part this is called? And whether this would be a likely cause of a rattling dirtbike noise at high revs? Also, any idea on how much it will be to put it right

From that picture im assuming you mean the flexis on the y-pipe?

I had this issue but not to the extent its noticible on the motorway at high speeds, only in the lower revs off-throttle.

Issue was down to fitting decats for me, a tiny piece of stanard cat broke off and fell into the y-pipe when I was changing them over for decats.

For me (free, do it yourself) I took the y-pipe off, presto, tiny piece of cat fell out, rattle cured. Hopefully its as simple as that for you!

Yep, flex pipe is the one!

www.himni-racing.com/images/Exhaust%20flex.jpg

hopefully it is just a simple thing like you had with yours then! The exhaust is fine at low revs, but goes pretty rattly at higher revs! May take it to an exhaust shop and have them do an inspection

Its process of elimination mate, check everything. Some thins to go on

All bolts tight? No air leaks?

Take your system off bit by bit and check for anything rattling inside?

Heatshields above the decat/y-pipe/mid pipe not loose and touching/rattling against anything?

@clarkemotorsport : yes, it is the original y pipe i believe

@blaqkaudio91 thanks for the tips, dont really have a way to jack the car up on my own, so may have to leave those checks to the professionals