Unread Posts - Vanishing

Anyone know why, when I first go to the home screen it'll often say I've got 1 unread post, but when I click on it it says there are no posts to display.

Weird......

One for Chesterfield that, mate. :blush:

Hmm - thats strange indeed. The number on the home page matches up exactly to the number of unread threads when I click the link.

Unless its an unread post in a topic that you have previously replied to that we have moved to the deleted threads area (thats where all the spam rubbish posted by bots got moved to).

Once you have a few in your unread list can you state how many it shows on the home page and how many it shows once you click the link.

If the difference is one, then try clicking the link to "mark all forums as read" and see if this resynchronises the view.

If you click "recent posts" does this show you the unread post in a darker shade? The recent posts link handles the unread marks in a different manner so this could show up the culprit.

Hope the above helps.

Hmm - thats strange indeed. The number on the home page matches up exactly to the number of unread threads when I click the link.

Unless its an unread post in a topic that you have previously replied to that we have moved to the deleted threads area (thats where all the spam rubbish posted by bots got moved to).

Once you have a few in your unread list can you state how many it shows on the home page and how many it shows once you click the link.

If the difference is one, then try clicking the link to "mark all forums as read" and see if this resynchronises the view.

If you click "recent posts" does this show you the unread post in a darker shade? The recent posts link handles the unread marks in a different manner so this could show up the culprit.

Hope the above helps.

I get this occasionally where its one out. Marking all forums read sorts it but it is a bit odd. :wacko:

That would result in a lot more than one post unread though, there would be dozens.

I reckon its the deleted threads area, as members can post on threads which are subsequently moved to the deleted threads area (the spam threads normally, or the testing threads) - then if a mod/admin adds anything to the thread whilst it is in the deleted threads area, it may register as an unread post on any users which may have responded to that thread before it was moved to the deleted threads area.

When the user then clicks unread posts, that particular one will not show as users do not have access to the deleted threads section (forum recycle bin for want of a better description).

That would result in a lot more than one post unread though, there would be dozens.

I reckon its the deleted threads area, as members can post on threads which are subsequently moved to the deleted threads area (the spam threads normally, or the testing threads) - then if a mod/admin adds anything to the thread whilst it is in the deleted threads area, it may register as an unread post on any users which may have responded to that thread before it was moved to the deleted threads area.

When the user then clicks unread posts, that particular one will not show as users do not have access to the deleted threads section (forum recycle bin for want of a better description).

I can't see this as being a major problem (that's why I've never mentioned it) and probably not worth spending too much time on. :)

Anyone know why, when I first go to the home screen it'll often say I've got 1 unread post, but when I click on it it says there are no posts to display.

Weird......

it happens to me occasionally , but when I check with recent threads there is no discrepancies :)

Hmmm - my little test proved nothing. It worked just fine.

It may be that the user logs on, has a thread marked as unread and before they click the link to read that unread thread it is moved by mods to the deleted threads area.

Other than that I'll have to do some digging and see whats causing it when I have a few minutes.