Front wheel bearings

letank87

I've noticed what seems to be an increase in road noise just lately but I'm certain it's down to a knackered bearing.

Has anyone else experienced this recently and changed the bearing??? If so, what were the results???

So I'm prepared, I'd be grateful if anybody knows where I can pick up some front bearings for as little as possible???? I've read that the dealers want well over £100 for each corner! :scare:

Had the front driver's side bearing replaced under warranty last week. I was getting rumbling and vibration whenever the steering wheel was turned to the left. Not that noticeable under 30mph but at 70mph round left hand curves it felt horrible. Very obvious and much worse than road noise/vibration.

I had my drivers side wheel bearing replaced about 5 months ago. Started with what you say your sounds like, a louder than normal road noise which turned into a grumble especially when tuning left.

The dealer diagnosed it quickly and had the work done within 4 days. :thumbs: Car was back to normal. Cost me about £250 but they did fit my aftermarket brake pads as well.

From memory the parts cost in the region of £200 plus labour!! :thumbdown: Prices may differ depending on where you are.

Hope that helps.......

• 2 years later...

Anyone know if there is a good guide for changing the hub assembly? Had a search but can't find anything.

I am experiencing the same symptoms when turning right anywhere over 65mph. Turn left takes the load of the passenger side and makes no noise. Jacked the car up today and there is slight play on the front passenger side.

Cheers

Dave

The front wheel bearings are easy to replace if you are handy with the tools.

Wheel off.

Calliper off. Leave hydraulics connected.

Disc off.

Remove 4 bolts from inside hub carrier.

Remove hub.

Swop out bearings.

If you find removing the 4 bolts troublesome then simply remove the complete hub carrier and do it on the bench.

I have a few preowned front hubs available complete with bearings. £85.00 each. :thumbs:

Alex.

The front wheel bearings are easy to replace if you are handy with the tools.

Wheel off.

Calliper off. Leave hydraulics connected.

Disc off.

Remove 4 bolts from inside hub carrier.

Remove hub.

Swop out bearings.

If you fine removing the 4 bolts troublesome then simply remove the complete hub carrier and do it on the bench.

I have a few preowned front hubs available complete with bearings. £85.00 each. :thumbs:

Alex.

Thanks Alex,

Just found a pdf with some instructions. Look pretty straightforward until I spotted the bit;

8. Use a ball joint remover (SST) to remove steering outer socket from steering knuckle. Be careful not to damage ball joint boot.

CAUTION:

Tighten temporarily mounting nut to prevent damage to

threads and to prevent ball joint remover (SST) from coming

off.

9. After removing upper link, transverse link, compression rod and cotter pin at steering knuckle, loosen mounting nut.

10. Use a ball joint remover (suitable tool) to remove upper link, transverse link and compression rod from steering knuckle. Be

careful not to damage ball joint boot.

CAUTION:

Tighten temporarily mounting nut to prevent damage to threads and to prevent ball joint remover

(suitable tool) from coming off.

11. Remove steering knuckle and wheel hub and bearing assembly fixing bolt.

12. Remove wheel hub and bearing assembly from steering knuckle.

Looks like could take a couple of hours following the manual. Do you think I can carry this out then without removing he ball joints?

Cheers

Dave