APS Twin Turbo with Cosworth Engine Internals

TDI

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

great Blog guys, enjoyed it :thumbs:

+1 Any vids or soundclips of the finished article? Looking forward to some dynos too! Nice job! :thumbs:

We stayed late last night to get the car finished because our client needed it to go holiday so we didn't get a chance to a video.

We will do a video in the dyno cell when it returns :)

Sometimes I impress even myself with my lack of understanding of the technical side. :blush:

Sorry - my fault - I don't think I mentioned that it was auto transmission :blush:

Just in case anyone is not aware of the reason why it's difficult to run an auto on a chassis dyno to get a power curve, it's this:

The power has to be tested in a single gear (normally 4th or 5th - whichever is a direct 1:1 ratio) at full throttle. The power run is taken from as low engine speed as possible - normally around 2000rpm then revved through to just under the red line (or wherever peak power occurs).

The trouble with an auto transmission is that it will keep kicking down a gear or two whenever full throttle is applied, which means that it can't be held in the direct 1:1 gear throughout the usable engine speed.

There are various techniques to try and get over this issue, but it's aggravation and difficult to maintain repeatability and have accuracy confidence.