JDM Battery Replacement

roy_watson

Apologies if this is in the wrong section.....

I phoned up my local nissan dealer to see about replacing my dead battery (as local garages were having trouble sourcing batteries for a Z and my local nissan dealer is actually quite reasonably priced), they said they would order the correct battery based upon the year of my Z, but it would be this coming Monday before they could fit it in. I said i would prefer not to wait till Monday and would collect the battery on Saturday and hopefully get a local mechanic to fit it for me.

When i took the Nissan battery to my local mechanic he couldnt manage to fit it as the posts on the new Nissan battery are too big for the connector terminals currently in my engine (my JDM Z currently has an Idemitsu Super Diehard battery in it and it is about 2/3rds the depth of the battery Nissan have supplied me with and has smaller posts on it). He recommended i go back to Nissan to verify it was the correct battery they had supplied me with. I went back to Nissan who took my chassis number etc and ran it through their parts database and verified it is the correct battery for my Z even with it being an import.

My question is, what have other JDM owners done about replacement batteries? Have people successfully fit an OEM Nissan battery or does everyone go down a non-OEM route? The Nissan battery looks like it will be a tight squeeze in the battery space and I'm assuming the mechanics in the Nissan garage will be able to replace the terminal connectors currently in my Z to fit the new battery without too much fuss! :wacko:

I changed my terminals so I can get a normal UK battery fitted (much cheaper than a JDM type battery ) most battery wholesalers will provide these..Just take your battery tray into the shop and ask for the largest battery that will fit in the space.. :thumbs:

by the way the terminals were dirt cheap about £1 each I seem to think

I live in a pretty small town in the North East of Scotland so i would imagine most of the local mechanics rarely see cars like a Z and dont have much experience in dealing with them! All the good mechanics i know dont work weekends so hopefully the Nissan dealership will do the trick tomorrow. A week is too long to be without my Z! :surrender: