sound system

Andyk75

Any advice on the stock Bose sound system guys? Ive got an aftermarket Pioneer HU in mine but to be honest the system seems to lose a bit of clarity at higher volumes...am thinking about changing the amp/ speakers ..any advice?

well just better qualitey of sound really, more clarity at the higher volume levels, looking around 500 pound mark but that would include fitting as i can t be arsed with doing it myself...im thinking a decent amp and speaker replacement would solve the issue....

Well if you are going to have it all fitted then you are limiting yourself to whatever the shop has in as any decent audio installer won't go near customer provided gear (unless you know them!)

I know you said you can't be bothered but you will be compromising a canny chunk off your budget to have it installed, but if you are set on that then.......

.....let me know your location and I'll be able to point you in the right direction mate.

I can advise you based on an equipment budget of £400 as installation and wiring will be around the £100 I would have thought.

Are you wanting a freestanding subwoofer, an under strut box or a direct replacement for the Bose sub?

i was actually thinkin of leaving the sub in place as i dont mind it , i think its packs a nice punch but i was more thinking of changing the four speakers and obviously adding an amp , hence gaining a clearer sound, i dunno maybe its just me but the stock system just sounds a bit muddy to me , bad seperation so to speak

The Bose system is chod, full blown cack out of the bum. If you replace the speakers and not the sub then you will be immensely disappointed as it will not do the system justice. It sounds decent at present because you have the standard speakers distorting up high and the bass is.....well.....bass I guess! You can pick up some subs that will go in without needing to do anything other than replace the original and wire it up, free air I think they are called. Trust me, you'll be better off doing it.

For £400 I would just disconnect the rear speakers and go for a set of components with a sub. Coaxial a for the rears are honestly not necessary and if you really must have them then you can always add to the system at a later date.

Anyways you're in luck when it comes to top quality audio installers in Leicester as you have a Four Masters registered dealer nearby. Plush Automotive are unbelievable and as it happens one of my mate's cars represents them at quite a few shows throughout the year.

Their address is:

126 Station Road, Broughton Astley, Leicester, Leicestershire, LE9 6PW

Not only will they do a proper job, they will set the system up to however you want it to sound. Look out for photos of Paul Bailey's Golf R32 in the shop, he's spent a lot of money there!

For your money you should be looking at Hertz, Morel or Rainbow components, Hertz or Pioneer subwoofer and maybe an Alpine amp. I have some more detailed info that I will PM you with.

The stock system is muddy.

You could always do the speakers yourself and see if it yields the results you're after but I fear they amp is as much to blame as them. A decent audio shop should give you some options for a variety of budgets, but don't sink too much into it unless you're fully committed. Fundamentally IMHO the 350z cabin isn't a great place to work with. You've got tweeters in the pillar an inch from your face, mids buried in the footwell with an inch of thick plastic in front of them and then (probably) full range an inch from the back of your head. To top it off, every single inch of plastic in there wants to resonate :surrender:

FWIW I'm pleased with my setup, check my build thread in my sig for details, but it's far from 'perfect'.

Consider buying used gear. I paid £280 for my 2 JL slash amps that would of cost £400 new each.

Would be my advice if he was doing the install himself but he is getting the work done professionally.

I got my Rainbow components on EBay for £100 and they retailed at £300 3 or 4 years back!