knocking noise from GT wheels - now resolved

pdg32

On swapping from my RAYS to the GT wheels with winter rubber, there was knocking noise from the off that was in line with wheels speed. A week later, I called my mate back (who helped with the changeover) as I wanted it sorting.

We had a look. The problem seemed to be (on both front wheels) an extra bolt in each brake disc, that appeared to serve no purpose whatsoever. On phoning a car nut, he said that this was apparently something common on aftermarket discs that act as an 'emergency' remover should a disc end up sticking and can't be removed.

These bolts were obviously fine with the RAYS, but they had etched into the metal at the back of the GT wheels - obviously a slightly different shape.

We removed each bolt and hey presto, no more knocking from the wheels.

Has anyone heard of this sort of thing before? Is it OK to remove these extra bolts - we're pretty sure they served no purpose whilst the car is in motion, and all is well so far.

PdG

is there a surefire way to tell if we put the rears on the front?

what i mean is, would these bolts really prevent that?

i guess i should have checked the tyre sizes, but i'm sure we did...will check tomorrow

Edited by pdg32