DOOR LOCK / HANDLE

Jixaman

Ok, so tottally f'd off with this one, thank you Nissan...

I posted a couple of years ago about an intermittant issue along the lines of sometimes when you lock the car the lock jams. Its like the door handle actuator on the lock was not coming out fully... I remember tales of going to Nissan as no other solution and costing many hundreds...

Today I know the issue... And its now worse... Drat...

The door handle itself has 2 springs in it... 1 to return the handle itself, quite basic and robust. The other to return the opening rod... A circular spring with one tab held by a metal clip... Ah yes, and the other end held by a bit of plastic... It was that that was causing the problem... It had failed and was not letting the spring do its job of returning the rod properly as it was giving way and hence the lock jambed... On discovering this it broke off completley leaving me with a totally kfd door handle...

Anyone had any dealings with these? Any help / info appreciated... Cheers...

Iv not had any myself but if any one has I would check out the USA forums my350z.com they have loads off stuff here is one for out side door handle change

http://my350z.com/forum/body-interior-exterior-and-lighting-diy/542067-step-by-step-instructions-for-outside-door-handle-replacement.html

I no it's not what you are after but it's a link to there web site

Cheers... I used the Nissan workshop manual pdf to work out how it all came apart, simple enough, serious, even the glass bit going back in, easy peasy... Problem with lock solved... Pix to follow... Soaked but now sitting in car with heater on with ooh so smug grin as I type...

Apologies, phone not talking to computer so you'll have to use your imagination...

The door handle itself is pinned to the door mechanism and there is a spring on the pin so the handle returns to the closed position when released. For some reason Nissan decided to over engineer it and have the door mechanism return work off of a totally different spring.... And... To really complicate things they made the door mechanism release spring circular instead of linear (which is how I fixed it on a Sunday with limited spares to hand) which was impossible to reattach, I probably could have ground off the end of the pin, unpacked it, reatached the spring somewhere else and put a spot of weld on the end of the pin but it was easier to employ a small spring and 2 cable ties...

If anyone has the issue of the door lock jaming look at this avenue first... Well, not quite coz you'll have to get the door open first (key in lock wont work coz its jammed down), and the only way is to break into it... Cant tell that bit on an open forum... And before you ask, I wouldnt have known how if I never locked the keys to the Mitsubishi in it years ago, had to call the police to ask who they use and they sent a reformed car theif who "showed" me how to steal my car in seconds, no damage...Anyway, end of saga...

Cheers....