Rip Off

zxrob

Need a couple of rears on the Z so just getting some prices from a couple of local places I generally use, been quoted £300 for 245/40/18 re05a, fitted and balanced so was ok with that

On the way home last night an advert came on the radio for kwikfit, saying 25% off sale with 2 tyres fitted, rang this morning, guy quoted me £400 fitted, which included the 25% off, I said forget it can get them £100 cheaper to which he replied "I can match that price"

Now, me being me told him in no uncertain way that he would't get my business if he knocked an extra 10% off as I believe in "best price first time, do not try and rip me off"

I hate that type of selling

Rob

Price match always makes me laugh - I mean I am calling you because you are not my first choice (as I already have a quote from the companies I preferred and use) and I am looking for a better quote not a matched one. Not sure why they think matching prices with your preferred supplier would make you switch.

Happened to me when I was buying a roof for my house. Went through my regular builders merchant for a price. They came back with say £7k.

I then got a quote from a timber merchant where I used to live 30 mile away. He came back with say £5k. I mentioned it to the regular merchant who put me in touch directly with their roof supplier who said he could beat the £5k price!..... WTF!!! :rant: Do you take me for some kind of an idiot!!!! No way, I'm going with the best price first time. The builders merchant rep was gutted as he lost his cut and just assumed I would purchase everything through him :lol:

Price match always makes me laugh - I mean I am calling you because you are not my first choice (as I already have a quote from the companies I preferred and use) and I am looking for a better quote not a matched one. Not sure why they think matching prices with your preferred supplier would make you switch.

I think you have missunderstood me sir

The reason for the phone call to kwikfit (who I would not normally use) was on the basis of their advertisement, ie, they were offering a 25% discount when purchsing two tyres, now, you may well expect it but I dont, when you call a national "chain" up for a price and given a price 33% more than what you have been quoted by a small company, then, within minutes told they can match a price, to me that is some c**t trying to rip me off

And yes, if they had come back cheaper I may well have used them, wont be doing now

Rob

Its ok, I got what you meant about them overpricing WITH a discount and then far too easily coming down in price, I was just taking the opportunity to have a rant about 'price matching' :D

All sweet then ;)

Rob

Could be worse...

I tried price matching a smaller place's price with a larger online seller (yellow and white colours on the website... ) and they said an hour later that on this occasion they wouldn't price match. When I went to buy them from the smaller seller, they said "Thats funny, we've just sold them all this morning"!

That made my blood boil :rant: haha

Isnt this all a good thing?? Basis of all of this is down to high levels of competition. Customers demanding more for their money etc and businesses doing all they can to get the edge in whatever market they work in. Surely competition and prices are changing all the time so a companies "best price" would never be good for very long as competitors keep asjusting. I know its frustrating that we dont always ge the best price first time, but this is reflective of the ways customers behave these days.