Chain tensioner

rwdstu

On cold mornings say 3 out of 5 on cold starts I get a 2-3sec chain type noise, then I won't hear it for a day or two or sometimes next cold start. My question is will this cause issues or will it be ok for a while I suspect it's a chain or tensioner but is this sinister or are there many on the road with this issue?

Timing chain rattle for a few seconds is quite common on the VQ35DE.

Correct oil viscosity and level is very important.

Chain stretch and tensioner and slipper wear is also common on high mileage motors.

Just remove the R/H inspection cover to view the main chain tensioner and if you find that the tensioner is extended by more than 10mm then you will have a stretched chain.

Remember that you have 3 chains on the VQ35DE and other issues can also cause chain rattle.

Alex. :)

• Like 1

No problem, am running ow40 Mobil 1, the noise isn't every day but only cold starts was ok just now on cold start tho lol. What oil do you recommend I may try a oil n filter change to see if it aids things. Also can just the tensioner be replaced as if it has a spring can it weaken ? Cheers in advanced Alex

5W30 fully synth is the recommended lubricant for the VQ35DE.

The tensioners and chains can be replaced but it is not a two minute job.

For your correct oil and filter requirements, just drop a PM to:

http://www.350z-uk.com/user/19714-clark-motorsportzmanalex/ (http://www.350z-uk.com/user/19714-clark-motorsportzmanalex/)

Alex. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Alex removed that cover the inspection cover and measured the tensioner it's protruding approx 11.5-12mm the noise I get is like 1 out of 5 starts. How should I proceed is this really serious ? Can I Leave it and try another oil n filter change n try castrol edge 5w30 oil or ?? Am running 0w40 Mobil 1

Also I can see 5 teeth of the chain tensioners ratchet if that helps.