Mid pipe delete and other work. Build

HAMLNJ

Hi Guys,

Ok, so I'm new to the site but have been making comments. You are all extremely helpful and on here daily. Situated near Weston super mare, Somerset. Spotted a blue one in Weston, silver JDM in cheddar, black nismo in a place called westbury sub mendip, Somerset. You have all waved or flashed, thank you. Also love some of the build projects on here, Especially the v8 build. Answered lots of my own questions without posting...however....

Had my zed for 4 months and absolutely love it. Black, UK Gt spec. Only put A stubby aerial on it and carried out some lengthy cleaning processes on interior and paint work. Detailing etc.

Currently having the wheels refurbed, the whole exhaust changed a replaced with a low mileage stock system. Also having the whole car under sealed. Lots of normal surface rust but like the idea of getting it looking new and preventing it getting worse.

While swapping the exhaust I thought It would be interesting to fabricate a straight mid pipe. My mechanic said we can use the old one and if it sounded nasty or gave poor performance we can simply put the new resonated box back On.

I searched and searched but only found some dodgy iPhone videos. I like the stock sound but want a little more in cabin without the drone or rasp. (Like many on here)

I'm talking photos of the whole lot, so I'll post these. But anyone done this? Or have this? Fabricating a stock system is a little on the cheap. But the sealing and wheel refurb is expensive as it is. It might serve my hunger for noise for the time being.

All the after market cat back systems have a straight mid pipe and tuned back box. In my case it will be all stock with a straight mid pipe.

Would really appreciate some help.

Thank you All

Ian

Hi Ian,

I replaced my OEM mid pipe with a straight thru one. The original is 2.25 inch diameter and I replaced with 3 inch. See more here: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/67814-me-and-my-zed-update-151013-littletweaks-and-a-massive-plane/page__st__120

If you're still retaining the original diameter pipe and only removing the mid silencer, don't expect massive volume increases. The sound will still be restricted by the chambered construction of the back box.

I did get a nice deeper sound with my pipe, but think this had a lot to do with the increased diameter too.

If you've got the opportunity to try it and "suck it n' see", then go for it. I was hoping for a bit more shouty exhaust when I had mine done, but TBH was disappointed. Hence the reason it was shortly replaced with a very shouty K1 and the custom mid pipe is now in the for sale section. :teeth: