LSD / Wet Handling

KS2006

Hi,

I've been reading the S2K forums (suprisingly S2000 is on my list with a Z of potential purchases).

They say due to the LSD the S2000 can't be towed otherwise it knackers the LSD. I've read 350Z has an LSD so does it have the same issue?

Also having read xxx scare stories about wet handling (S2000) I've never read anybody (who had TC on) saying the Z "its a widow maker etc" so I assume normal motorway driving in the wet etc isn't going to give my relatives a chance of a world cruise at the expense of my life insurance :teeth:

the Z 's chassis is MUCH better than the S2000 especially on the limits. From what I read, the S2000 doesn't give you any warning and just snaps. The Z is much much easier to drive fast than the S2000.

Example: one cold morning I was going to work, icy roads, took a bend, the esp light flashed a bit, a little fishtailing, and everything was fine (very slow speeds I hasten to add). Went around the bend and.... an S2000 was stuffed in the hedge

wrt towing, afaik surely all rwd should be towed lifting the rear?

They say due to the LSD the S2000 can't be towed otherwise it knackers the LSD. I've read 350Z has an LSD so does it have the same issue?

I would guess thats an old wives tale, I can't see how towing a car can damage the axle. Lots of cars have slippery diffs and I've never heard of this before. Unless there is something very specific about the S2000 diff that makes it different from all the others...

the Z 's chassis is MUCH better than the S2000 especially on the limits. From what I read, the S2000 doesn't give you any warning and just snaps. The Z is much much easier to drive fast than the S2000.

Example: one cold morning I was going to work, icy roads, took a bend, the esp light flashed a bit, a little fishtailing, and everything was fine (very slow speeds I hasten to add). Went around the bend and.... an S2000 was stuffed in the hedge

i had an s2000 before my z. its twitchy but predictable and if kept on boil with vtec on ihate to say not many cars can catch up on the b roads. you just have to learn to drive the 2k and not worry revving the nuts off it. with the z if you switch off the esp its probably twitchier than the 2k. both great machines its just the 2k is getting bit old.

Saddo alert. Section 5.8 of the manual states "NISSAN recommends that your vehicle be towed with the read wheels off the ground using towing dollies"

My old S2000 was the same, in fact if you had a rear puncture, you had to swap a front tyre to the rear and out the space saver on the front to stop the LSD overheating.

Well I owned an S2000 for nearly four years and have had my 'Z' since February. The limits are about the same with the 'Z' having a more progressive breakaway, but with ESP off the torque will get the wheels spining easily, whereas in the S2000, you would need to be in VTEC to get a similar result - less likey or stupid if the weather is bad.

I would say the 'Z' is easier to drive fast, but not on a bumpy 'B' road (its wide and heavy and suffers too much from bump steer). The S2000 is smaller, lighter and more nimble. On a good 'B' road or most 'A' roads, the 'Z' has the advantage because of its power delivery out of corners -especially if the S2000 is in the wrong gear.

ESP may have saved you joining the S2000 in the hedge that day.