DS2500 pads/MTEC discs bedding in advice required

Neoncypher

Hi all,

I have just bought a set of MTEC dimpled and groove discs and a set of ferodo ds2500 pads for the front of my Z, and I was hoping to get some advice on bedding them in. I've never done this before, and I have trawled the interwebs and found many suggested methods for bedding in pads/discs, but a lot of the information is contradictory, or is specific to only bedding in new pads with existing discs and vice versa.

So, what's the best approach with both new discs and pads? I've read that the ds2500s require a hard run in, but I'm worried what that would do to a brand new disc, and I'd rather not shaft either of them!

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers,

Adam

• 2 weeks later...

I simply go out to a motorway or anywhere you can reach 70-80 (safely of course) and start by braking down from around 50 to 20 a couple of times, then from 70 - 35 and last a couple of hard stops just to make sure they work under full force from 80 (or whatever speed you can happily do) down to around 20.

Then pull over and make sure both discs are nice and blue and hot. The horrible smell is normal especially with the ds2500s, and there will probably be a fair amount of dust on the wheels so just see how they feel on the way home and let them cool down before giving the wheels a clean!

Thanks for the replies guys! I just fitted everything today so I'll start to bed them in tomorrow... Quick question though.. The MTEC Brakes came with a leaflet saying no hard braking in the first 200 miles, whereas I know that the ds2500s require a hard bedding in procedure.. So what is the best thing to do in this particular situation? Thanks!

So I started bedding in my new discs and pads yesterday. To start, I drove around 20-30 miles of very light braking to wear the black coating off the discs ( I went for the Black edition MTEC discs). Once the coating was off, I drove a further 20-30 ish miles of slightly harder braking to gradually increase the temperature of the brakes and avoid any kind of thermal shock. At that point I found a very long and quiet road on an industrial estate and did 8 hard stops from 60 to 10, which kicked up some smoke and that nice brake smell :) - I then drove around for 10 mins to let them cool down, and repeated the hard braking, repeated the cooling drive, and went home with a very nauseous wife in the passenger seat haha...

So, would you guys recommend any further series of hard stops etc or would you say just normal use from now on?

Cheers,

Adam