Reverse camera power source and reverse feed

fellsteruk

Ok, so part way through installing my reverse camera and I was going to take it to the reverse break light for power but I would like it to have constant power for use when driving or not in reverse any ideas for a possible power source.

My 2nd question is about the reverse line, the alpine head unit says:

"By shifting to reverse ®, the rear pictures are output. This function is effective when the reverse wire is properly connected"

Does anyone know how I can wire the head unit to this ?

Thanks

May have answered my 2nd question myself, just found this....

Reverse Lead (Orange/White)

Use only when a back-up camera is connected. Connect to the plus side of the car’s reverse lamp. This lamp illuminates when the transmission is shifted into reverse ®.

With this lead properly wired, the video picture automatically switches to the back-up camera whenever the car is put into reverse ®.

Does this mean I have to run a wire from the reverse light "the boot" all the way to the head unit?

Edited by fellsteruk

Yep. In the boot the revsers camera wire is bundled up with a load of others, but its a page green with silver stripe.

Obviously you would suspect this is also somewhere else in the car, but just route from there :)

Thanks guys.. Yeah that guide has been helpful.... I think I may have to rethink things.....

Just checked and I don't have the "remote in/out" cable connected to the head unit, this is needed to connect the reverse power feed had a look on ebay and struggling to find the connector. Going to see if I can buy one direct from alpine :( or try hack it :(

The remote cable in out you refer to is surely the standard RCA type connector ? we also use those which carry a 12V feed inside with just a tail of a few inches either end which saves an unsightly extra single wire and just makes for a bit less work

It's a 6pin connector similar to a a pci express power connector from a PC. Managed to find one in maplin which I think and hope will fit, gonna take a look tomorrow

If you want constant power you can use the power from the Bose amp think it's the yellow n red cable positive n black negative well that's what I did as I can have it on will driving too looks rely good when u put your foot down :)

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

Edited by madmikester

If you want constant power you can use the power from the Bose amp think it's the yellow n red cable positive n black negative well that's what I did as I can have it on will driving too looks rely good when u put your foot down :)

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

Thanks, did just that and its working a treat. the other half spent the whole trip home from her mums watching the HU screen as i drove away in amazement :)