Boot Strip

Ceejay29

Hi Guys,

I have began stripping the boot area and exposing bare metal etc. This sealant that Nissan appear to apply with their feet, I presume it is sealing the marriage of panels? Looks awful and would like to tidy it up (along with the mess the sound-deadening materials has left behind) but am concerned about its function and how to approach it. A suitable link is provided below illustrating what I am referring to.

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/48146-stripped-the-rear-boot-area-out-pics/page__st__20

Also, does anybody have an image of their 'stripped' boot, as I am trying to establish a suitable point of where I can introduce the interior again.....ie what plastic trims to retain etc as I do not want to gut the whole car.

Thank you.

Decent progress today, carefully removed the carpet, artificial floor, all tools and began with the tar gunk remover.

IMG_1526_zps8b7950ac.jpg

It was all pretty therapeutic, well at least until I reached the tar sound deadening on the arches :thumbdown:. This stuff is a nightmare!! I think I will try a quick freeze spray in an attempt to clean up this area, extremely awkward. Apparently it has similar qualities to dry ice.

IMG_1527_zpsd934cb23.jpg

IMG_1523_zpsad0ba157.jpg

I had a quick go at polishing whilst waiting for the tar gunk remover to soak in. Decided to practice on the tow hook in order to establish which tools I can use for the plenum. Five minutes with this beast and the result was this!!

IMG_1525_zpsdba601a5.jpg

Before

IMG_1531_zpsbcbe0103.jpg

After

IMG_1532_zps86f7d2b0.jpg

IMG_1530_zpsb39e3079.jpg

Just need to source the correct pads and I could be on to a winner :yahoo:

• 2 weeks later...