Noisy Manual Gearbox ... or not ?!

route66uk

Hi - have had Z for a couple of months now .. came from Celica vvti .. LOVE the torque and noise so much !

Question : is my gearbox overly noisy ?... in first and maybe a bit in second it is sliiiightly winey - am thinking 'cus I am used to FWD cars that it just sounds noticable because I'm sitting right next to the box rather than it being tucked away in the engine bay..

The other thing that it does do that I am wondering about moreso is when it is warm (and gearbox oil thinner than cold) when I turn the engine off (with the clutch engaged but out of gear) it makes a RATTLE sound .. like I used to call "Idler gear rattle" on original minis (if anyone knows what I mean!) ..

It has done 28000 miles (04 reg) and has had a new clutch at about 25000 miles

just wondered if this all normal ?

Cheers !

peach !

cheers for that chaps

.. do you get that 'rattle' when you turn the engine off too ??

actually forgot to mention the noise that i get when sitting out of gear but with clutch engaged.. just again sounds like gearbo turning over just sounds noisy compared to any car I've had before .. inc other rear wheel drives like TR7 ! :teeth:

peach !

cheers for that chaps

actually forgot to mention the noise that i get when sitting out of gear but with clutch engaged.. just again sounds like gearbo turning over just sounds noisy compared to any car I've had before .. inc other rear wheel drives like TR7 ! :teeth:

I had a TR7 :blush:

Guest prescience
peach !

cheers for that chaps

I had a Dolomite Sprint - I loved that car (my second); saw one the other day and couln't believe how small it looked. Triumph 2.5Pi of mate's was (seemed at the time) a nice car - unreliable of course ;)

peach !

cheers for that chaps

I had a Dolomite Sprint - I loved that car (my second); saw one the other day and couln't believe how small it looked. Triumph 2.5Pi of mate's was (seemed at the time) a nice car - unreliable of course ;)

Always wanted to put the Sprint engine in my TR7.... any pics Dorian ?

Guest prescience
peach !

cheers for that chaps

Always wanted to put the Sprint engine in my TR7.... any pics Dorian ?

None at all sorry - yellow, black roof and gold wheels (painted), thought (wrongly) I was the mutt's nuts in that :blush: A 16-valve 2.0 engine ahead of its time with O/D on 3rd and 4th - peach of an engine

Guest prescience

:teeth:

The enquiry is complete

The vehicle details for NUD 590P are:

Date of Liability 01 04 2008

Date of First Registration 20 08 1975

Year of Manufacture 1975

Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1998CC

CO2 Emissions Not Available

Fuel Type Petrol

Export Marker Not Applicable

Vehicle Status SORN Not Due

Vehicle Colour YELLOW

Vehicle Type Approval null

The information contained on this page is correct at the time of enquiry.

Vehicle Excise Duty Rate for vehicle

6 Months Rate £99.00

12 Months Rate £180.00

Guest prescience
Set me off now , I'm gonna get all the photos of my old motors scanned and put on a disc for posterity :blush:

:thumbs: poll and competition to decide the best B)

Set me off now , I'm gonna get all the photos of my old motors scanned and put on a disc for posterity :blush:

:thumbs: poll and competition to decide the best B)

be warned there's some real dogs in there :blush: I have a wild taste in cars :wacko:

nice one - my mate had a sprint too at the time .. still gets me if you look at the 0-60m figures how slow they were ! .. think the sprint was about 8.5seconds .. 2 litre 7 was about 9.5 .. but tr7 V8's were still only 150bhp and maybe only 8 seconds !! .. and at the time 9.5 secs felt quite quick! .. although cars then seemed to have much more torque than generally these days and THAT is why I love the Z so much - LOVE that torque !... test drove a few cars before the Z including S2000 .. which I was TOTALLY unimpressed with !! .. so disappointed after thinking for ages that it would feel great .. but .NOT!

peach pics ! :thumbs: