Decatted stock exhaust

gareth29

Mornin, anyone got experience of this option? - dont really want the expense of hfcs etc but would like a ranchier soundtrack?

On the rasping/non-rasping zorst debate i am definately on the "non" side - i want a nice grumble at low revs and a bowel moving bellow at full beans! Ok maybe not bowel moving!

This is mine with just de-cats fitted, may not be to your taste though by the sounds of it.

In person it has a rasp around 3k then after about 3.5k sounds (without sounding stupid) powerful (even though its not :not_me:) it has a nice grunt to it after 3.5k all the way till the end.

Not the sound where you can tell it has an exhaust on it. Just sounds like its got a 400bhp v6 :D not a 280 :thumbdown:

A full system is always going to sound better and by the sounds of it that is what you are going to need to get the sound your after or buy motordyne art pipes which have great reviews and are not meant to be raspy but cost £££

th_2012-07-02125342_zps587345ec.jpg

It will sound raspy. to me it sounds like the cats are the last thing you should change to get your desired sound. If you want bowel moving soudn get a buddyclub - it's not for the faint-hearted though.

Or if you want a good exhaust system the best options seem to be invidia gemini or milltek - these replace the standard y-pipe and both sound really nice but not too loud (relatively speaking) - your choice depending on whether you want a true dual or not.

Or if you want a nice loud induction parp coming through the bulkead then a JWT-pop charger or similar cone filter will give you this for a lower cost than an exhaust.

As i said, if you dont like rasp then the standard system with decats is probably the worst thing you can do.

Thanks for the posts chaps, v helpful and all v interesting - like the sound of yours kiingsi - assume it sounds different again when under load. I am wondering how difficult it would be to fab some decats myself - are they straight pipes?

No there not straight pipes and for the price of some horsham or berks decats I wouldn't bother they are a pain in the arse to change so you don't want them falling apart like crapspeed ones.