Engine management light again...

mbw100

Hi all,

Just joined the 350 club and unfortunately today started the car and engine management light has come on and stayed on. I've ordered one of the code readers off Amazon to get the code before reset and instead of the pedal dance. The cars a 57 plate HR2 with 41k miles, serviced only 3000 miles ago.

Can't give any more info at the moment. As I've only just bought the car a month ago, I can't tell whether its running any different, sounds fine. Only change since the light came on is it idles at 1000rpm as opposed to 750rpm before. Also immediately after purchase I had a Cobra exhaust fitted at Cougar Store in Leicester. Going to give them a call tomorrow for advice; similar issues on other cars etc.. Top of the suspect list from reading on here is O2 sensors but we shall see.

Bye for now!

Matt

Could well be the O2 sensors or kne of them at least, not uncommon with aftermarket exhausts.

Once you get the code post it up for more help, you can get it via the pedal dance -

Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch “ON†and wait 3 seconds.

Repeat the following two procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds:

Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD).

Fully release the accelerator pedal.

Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the CEL starts blinking.

Fully release the accelerator pedal (while the CEL is still blinking)

Wait about 10 seconds.

Fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for more than 10 seconds.

Fully release the accelerator pedal (The CEL light will continue to blink).

Turn ignition switch to “OFF†position and now you can startere is a quick way to reset your ECU. It is also known to clear codes thrown, and turn off the "Service Engine Soon" Light. It's a little tricky, but works.

Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch “ON†and wait 3 seconds.

Repeat the following two procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds:

Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD).

Fully release the accelerator pedal.

Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the CEL starts blinking.

Fully release the accelerator pedal (while the CEL is still blinking)

Wait about 10 seconds.

Fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for more than 10 seconds.

Fully release the accelerator pedal (The CEL light will continue to blink).

Turn ignition switch to “OFF†position and now you can start the car.

The CEL light should be gone.

the car.

The CEL light should be gone.

Useful to have a mobile phone, firstly to time the pedals and secondly to record the code ;)

Also, you can buy a code reader for around £17, which is awesome and saves all of the above.

There's also a list of people with code readers too if you wanna get in touch with one of them. on here.

Also, you can buy a code reader for around £17, which is awesome and saves all of the above.

There's also a list of people with code readers too if you wanna get in touch with one of them. on here.

Did you read the OPs post :doh:

He has ordered a reader, I just posted the above in case he wanted to try it before it arrives :p

Did you read the OPs post :doh:

He has ordered a reader, I just posted the above in case he wanted to try it before it arrives :p

I did my usual 'skim' read. You're too good.

However, the last piece of input is still valid :) so not a total fail on my part.

Edited by flexib

Well, light has misteriously dissapeared and idle returned to 750rpm last night with no intervention... Code reader should have been delivered today and am guessing it will be stored on the ECU somewhere anyway so I can see what happened.