SplitSec Box

Guest prescience

Guest prescience

The piggyback ECU which controlled my Vortech was provided by SplitSec and ran what is known as the R4 software.

It occurs to me that there is no reason why the above combination could not be used to tune NA.

- the connections to the ECU are easy (and simpler than Vortech)

- it should be cheaper than Unichip and certainly UTEC (although not as full-featured as the latter)

- the tuning process gives easy access to both fuel and timing maps

- the tuning process is easy

- the software runs on a laptop via a standard serial cable (it ran on mine and connected on StephenG's) with a 'better than UTEC' user interface

- Abbey Motorsport have experience with tuning this on 350Z (albeit FI)

- it is easily re-tuned to new mods (in principle)

Ill look into this with SplitSec and let you know... for my own benefit even if no-one else is interested :thumbs:

[ps if you know that this has been triedwith/without success, please post up]

Guest prescience

Response so far to my question

For fuel calibration on a naturally aspirated engine we use the PSC1-003. It uses the same software as the FTC1 and provides fuel calibration only. The price of the PSC1-003 is $235 including software.

Mark Amarandos

I am confirming whether the FTC1 is the Vortech unit (just to confirm), how the interface compares and what ECU connections are required.

The price looks promising though :thumbs:

Guest prescience

More info. here - see page 5

http://www.splitsec.com/Brochure/Brochure.pdf

The FTC1 is the Vortech unit and is on page 4. Both that and the recommended PSC1-003 use the R4 software and interface :thumbs:

Will put up ECU connections response when it comes.

One thing about SplitSec, their Customer service is excellent; any issues during Vortech install, Vortech were useless whereas SplitSec basically kept a phone line open to Abbey for myself and StephenG

• 2 weeks later...
Guest prescience

Just to update this, SplitSec's response is ..

The FTC1, PSC1 and all Split Second programmable products use the R4 Engine Management Software.

The PSC1-003 uses map A only. The PSC1-003 requires connections for +12V, ground, MAF in, MAF out and tach.

A non-specific but helpful tuning guide is at www.splitsec.com. It is one of the blue buttons on the main page.

Here is the link to the guide, which is the one referred to when doing Vortech but just doing fuel

http://www.splitsec.com/tuneguide.htm

In short this product is IMO a cost-effective way to tune the fuel map which should enable any mods you make to see more permanent power gains (this is my opinion). Any competent tuner will find this a doddle

• 2 weeks later...