New Romney, Kent - Eating recommendations ?

mick43

Taping in to the vast wealth, knowledge and experience of the 350Z community.

I'll be staying in/near above next week - so hoping someone can recommend good pub/restaurant/wine bar etc for food.

Any recommendations gratefully accepted :thumbs:

Ok if your looking for proper food then OllyB's suggestion is better. All the info and reviews are posted below for OllyB's suggestion.

Millions of restaurant reviews available on google.

Woolpack Inn - Shepherd Neame

Brookland

Romney Marsh, Kent TN29 9TJ

Brookland, o/s White House Farm (Unmarked)

5 Google user reviews

A Google User

reviewed a year ago

Overall Excellent

Having driven past The Woolpack many times, I chose to visit this bank holiday. What a charming experience. The staff were pleased to see us although it was extremely busy. The garden was full so we ate inside. There were 8 of us and the girls sorted us out a table although we did have to wait until tables came free but once they did we were away. The menu is good and the prices started at £7.95 for adult mains, all kids food was £4.50. We ordered at the bar and didn't wait long for our food. We haven't been to a pub that busy for years, there was a great buzz and everyone seemed very plesant, it was a nice afternoon. The mixed grill is a challenge, I highly recommend it- 2 bacon, 2 sausage, steak, liver, lamb chop, egg, onion rings chips and mushrooms - 2 meals in 1 and only cost me £15.95 - BARGAIN. The girls were happy with their prawn salads and Scallops so all was well - Will definately go back and take some new friends for the Mixed Grill challenge.

A Google User

reviewed a year ago

Overall Poor to fair

What a shame, a traditional English pub lovely low beams and if the weather is nice get a beer and sit outside. But that's as far as it goes. We decided to eat in the garden. I ordered the half a pint of unpeeled prawns served with brown bread and salad and that's what I got, no finger bowl no serviette no utensils. The brown bread was a limp ready sliced supermarket job and the salad was probably from a packet. The main of lamb shank was no better, tasteless carrots and cabbage the lamb. served with what tasted like a packet sauce gravy with mint (whether you like mint or not) over. My wife chose the cheesy garlic bread served on French bread stick not much to go wrong there apart from the bland cheese used and no garlic detectable. Her main was the “succulent rib eye steak†chips and peas. The steak was ok and a 1/4 inch thick. Chips were nice but the peas were cold and the cabbage tasteless. The outside tables were not wiped down between sittings and attracted wasps and flies, we were presented with our food by the "waitress" and told if we wanted knives and forks we had to get them ourselves along with condiments, polythene sachets of sauces, salt and pepper pots and serviettes. So if you want a nice traditional atmospheric English pub dating from a long way back, to look at and have a beer in then it will do, but if you are thinking of a nice meal as well, then forget it. Poor service and food quality let it down badly, quite how it got the Kentish messenger award amazes me. Total spend including beer and a glass of wine 51.00 UKP. Would use again but only for a pint and some peanuts.

A Google User

reviewed a year ago

Overall Excellent

Fantastic place to stop, espeecially if coming from Dungeness. Shepherd Neame on tap in this atmospheric boozer. Hearty yet tasty portions, don't expect haute-cuisine but rather good pub grub and some banter.

A Google User

reviewed a year ago

Overall Excellent

Not been for years, but it isn't where the google tag is. It's south west, back towards A259 near the water crossing

A Google User

reviewed a year ago

Overall Excellent

Excellent for food, especially the steaks.