Headlight Mod Options....

Karlp

So Ive decided to go ahead and get my headlights modded, I'm looking for a subtle mod as my car is Ultra Yellow so was thinking dark headlights possibly black or grahite colour. I only have single xenons not doubles also so if anyone has resprayed there headlights any pointers would be appreciated, I know about not leaving them in the oven too long from my lexus is200 lights, they ended up looking like caspers face :(.

Yes they were fairly easy to open and all the inside just unscrew or unclip. i had my bodyshop prepare and paint the internals but all was fairly straight forward. I do have problems with condensation on my passenger side so i would suggest you find a way to test the seal before installing back onto your car.

I did this on my EVO, and to be honest I think prying them open is the hardest part of the job and sanding the insides is the most time consuming due to all the funny angles. However spraying was the easiest bit and its also a low contact area so less chance of flaking etc.

Ok well as said its fairly easy and im sure you will find a guide somewhere but i found some pics so here is a rough guide from what i remeber of the top of my head.

Tthere are 4 (i think it was 4) little screws which you need remove first. You can see in the pics below

20120214_100042_zps5913d8c4.jpg

20120214_100032_zps5bf90a09.jpg

Then heat up with a hot air gun and pull apart from the top, when it gets near the end you will need to kinda twist as you pull apart. Be careful as it will be hot but its fairly rigid so you can be quite heavy handed. Try not to let the outer plastic get to hot and it will start to change shape. I use 2 old butter knife to help me prise apart.

20120214_101458_zpsa072618e.jpg

If you are just wanting to paint the internals and not fit halo or demon eyes then you only need to unscrew the top reflector from the housing

20120201_175415_zpsbf52985c.jpg

and the rest is screwed to the headlight cover

20120201_175355_zps9590397e.jpg

You can also replace the orange plastic strip at this stage if you can still find a supplier for the clear ones.

Mkae sure you dont paint the bottom reflector as it is needed for the main beam headlight.

20120201_180025_zps6a767aaf.jpg

You can also paint the lens housing but this requires some more dissaembly for which i dont have any pics but from memory is all fairly easy.

20120201_175502_zps231b9e85.jpg

Let me know if you need anything else.

• Like 2