New Headunit advice

john180

Hi Guys,

I am sorry if this is a very common thread but I am a little confused...

I am looking for a headunit to replace the BOSE system as i would like a USB input, built in bluetooth with phone book etc, aux in... basically all the new fuctions that the BOSE doesn't offer... My car does have the built in bluetooth so i would like that steering wheel button to work too.

I have the Birdview sat nav and steering wheel controls and i would like to keep those. I am just wanting to know which would be a good double din HU to go for and all the bits of cables i will need to make all this work. A nice touch screen would be nice too.

If you have any advice or suggestions on what I need that would be fab.

Thanks

John

Hi John, pretty much any DD will work but there are varioys 'issues' you face

I am not sure if the factory BT works with aftermarket HUs as I never used it but most have their own BT phone control anyway.

You can retain the birdview but you will lose the sound, there are options, you can splice some wires and then choose satnav or music, not ideal but it works, ok wire it into a seperate little speaker.

There are lots of very good theeads, make a cup of tea, set aside an hour and have a good read :thumbs:

Thanks for Your reply. I'm not to bothered about the built in Bluetooth to be honest. That could come out with the radio as the new HU would have it built in.

Bit of a pain about the bird view tho isn't it. I thought it might be an issue. Sounds like I am going to need an auto electrician too as there is no way I am splicing wires lol!! It's a shame it won't easily interface with a new HU. I don't really want to get rid of it tho that's the thing. Tho to be honest I hardly ever use it so not a massive problem if I loose the audio or I can switch between satnav and music. That could be a good solution.

Would you guys recommend a halfords fit service? Would they be able to make things work how I want? I'll certainly have a read through the threads when I have some spare time. :-)

I wouldn't trust halfords to install a headunit in the 350z, it isn't a straight forward plug and play job but if you follow the guides on here it is an easy DIY job. For the Sat nav I wired mine upto the aux input on the headunit. When i wanted sound I just switched sources.

Well I'm in malton in North Yorkshire. I really wouldn't mind paying for this if someone on here would be able to do the job. I just need a bit of guidance on what to buy. There seems to be a good deal on a double din head unit on car audio security website. Looks like a nice unit too...