grumbly noise from the rear end after a 3 hr drive! worried!

Finstella

Hello,

I drive from sunny norfolk down to sunny goodwood this year. After an energetic drive striaght there, lots of q's and a sniff around portsmouth my 54, 350z started making a grumbling noise from the back end - transmition!!

My initial thinking is that it got hot and the rear diff must have been dry as a bone, it sounded very raw and uncomfortable like something down the back was packed with sand.

I parked up worried, had a few beers and thought that i should ponder for a few hours. The next day she started, good as gold as usual and the noise had gone! smooth as silk transmition same as usual.

The journey back was taken very easy and the problem didnt re occur.

Have you guys and girls got any thoughts!

Findlay

I don't know what noise the diff on the zed make when it's unhappy, but generally IME knackered diffs whine more than grumble. Grumble makes me think wheel bearing.

DB

Sorry to interupt but would the whining happy more from cold then disappear when warm? Because mine makes some odd noises sometimes from cold

I don't know what noise the diff on the zed make when it's unhappy, but generally IME knackered diffs whine more than grumble. Grumble makes me think wheel bearing.

DB

Sorry to interupt but would the whining happy more from cold then disappear when warm? Because mine makes some odd noises sometimes from cold

Had the same issue with mine last winter (so when it was actually cold weather, rather than just meaning when the car wasn't warmed up); new diff fluid sorted it as far as I can tell.

DB

Edited by DannyBoy

Was it all noisy all the time you were moving or just when pulling away or changing gear. It`s more likely to be a hot clutch making the noise. Unless you have been drifting or spinning up the wheels? My mates mk1 mx5 used to make a "grumbly" noise when given some stick. If so i`d get the fluid changed to see if that will cure the problem

• 2 weeks later...

good answers thanks all,

@L4V15 not a cold related problem as it was summer. but thanks anyway,

@ Darren-B no heavy clutchwork just coming into a built up area from the open road.

i'll start off with the fluids and go from there................I love my 350z