Air intake

Andrew

yes, not really any true HP increase although many reckon it is a improvement. The ECU is self learning and cancels any gains added.

Not sure on the delimiter side but would of thought it would cancel the self learn. The delimiter is only looking a one bit and not the overall ECU's job in hand

Guest prescience
guys, NA serious power gains will cost you thousands, and that's a fact, unfortunately.

So much that really it makes much more sense, since you are spending that amount, to go proper FI anyway and gain much more B)

PS moved ;)

+1.

Your first verifiable 15BHp is probably gonna cost you £1000-£1200 that represents about a 5% power increase. A tank of fuel at 80l weighs about 50kg that's about a 3% improvement in power to weight ratio :wacko:

Your first verifiable 15BHp is probably gonna cost you £1000-£1200 that represents about a 5% power increase. A tank of fuel at 80l weighs about 50kg that's about a 3% improvement in power to weight ratio :wacko:

and those are cams, I'm guessing

Guest prescience

and those are cams, I'm guessing

No, I was thinking more UTEC @600-£700 and 3-4 hours tuning/dyno time at £100/hour. Cams are a 16 hour jobbie to replace aren't they? The reason I said probably is that we haven't seen this UTEC increase in the UK have we yet?

more like 10 ish hours iirc for the cams, but at least the gains stay there :lol:

funny you should talk about UTEC mapping, been chasing Paul @ TDi North forever, he's just not committing to a date! I told him I'd take a whole day off and help him out with the software itself (which is no rocket science btw) so he can do the mapping thing, but I still have no date for it :dry:

Well folks, this should start some debate....this is what the guy in the US selling this impressive looking piece said...

It may be ADVERTISED as being "immune" to attempts to increase horsepower but if that were true then it would not be marketable to even put performance parts into production for the vehicle but it's one of those most popular modded vehicle's on the market right now. Their are aftermarket intake systems, exhaust systems, supercharger and turbo kits, etc... Scientifically speaking a vehicle's motor (regardless of computer governing) requires air, fuel, and fire (spark) to generate power. Increasing any aspect of those three elements or all three elements will thus increase power.

It may be ADVERTISED as being "immune" to attempts to increase horsepower but if that were true then it would not be marketable to even put performance parts into production for the vehicle but it's one of those most popular modded vehicle's on the market right now. Their are aftermarket intake systems, exhaust systems, supercharger and turbo kits, etc... Scientifically speaking a vehicle's motor (regardless of computer governing) requires air, fuel, and fire (spark) to generate power. Increasing any aspect of those three elements or all three elements will thus increase power.

:lol: he just shows how much he knows about our car.

The "self-learning" function simply means that the ECU adjusts the a/f ratio (not sure if it also adjusts timing) when more fuel or air is detected. Example: I bet you my car, despite a few breathing mods (which in theory should make the a/f leaner) it is going to be too rich, when we do the baseline dyno before tuning with the utec. How do you think this is going to happen? ;)

BTW we go by years of experience of tuning our cars (both first hand, dyno proven and US experiences), what's he basing his info on? ;)

Guest prescience

:lol: he just shows how much he knows about our car.

The "self-learning" function simply means that the ECU adjusts the a/f ratio (not sure if it also adjusts timing) when more fuel or air is detected.

BTW we go by years of experience of tuning our cars (both first hand, dyno proven and US experiences), what's he basing his info on? ;)

:lol: A salesman calls

I don't think anyone's exactly sure how the ECU learns since it obviously has no notion of what 280BHp means. Certainly fuel, timing would be the most obvious.

I've actually never seen evidence of the improvement in mid-range torque/power that is so often stated as arising from changing intake, plenum, cats and exhaust - in fact there is a chart on here somewhere which shows the opposite.

Let's settle on 12 hours for the cams ;) - more than 10 I believe.

Still, buy it and prove me wrong

Guest prescience

Andrew,

Sorry mate you have been ganged-up on here :lol: - just trying to avoid you wasting your hard-earned money when there are better ways to use it.

If you put it towards a new intake, plenum etc the change in noise level and quality will be well worth it - just forget the performance side :teeth:

It's amazing all this stuff is for sale and it doesn't do anything really. I know when i got mine imported the guy wired something into the ECU which allowed it to run up to 170 mph or so on the rolling road. Whether that means he has taken away the self correcting feature i don't know. I have the box in the car. I was reading posts on 350zmotoring.com there. Those boys seem to have been tinkering a lot. Quite interesting...

It's amazing all this stuff is for sale and it doesn't do anything really. I know when i got mine imported the guy wired something into the ECU which allowed it to run up to 170 mph or so on the rolling road. Whether that means he has taken away the self correcting feature i don't know. I have the box in the car. I was reading posts on 350zmotoring.com there. Those boys seem to have been tinkering a lot. Quite interesting...

The speed delimiter chip ,fitted just does what it says on the tin , stops the speed limiter coming in at 112 mph, nothing more nothing less.it doesnt effect the ECU settings as regards HP.. :)