belty belt belt..

adam1942

Hi Folks - I changed the belts on the Z about a month or so ago as some of you might be aware. Over the past week or so on start up now that its a bit colder and that the belts have bedded in the belt seems to slip. During the weekend I popped under the car and gave the tensioner bolt another two quarter turns.. The last two days the squeak is still there. Its only there for about half a second during start-up and when I'm driving off at lights and releasing the clutch for about 1-2 minutes. It does not happen when the aircon is on so I've ruled this belt out. Once the car has ran for 30 seconds or so no matter if I turn the Aircon, Lights (all + high beam), rear demister and radio on the squeak does not appear.

Now I think the answer to this is to tighten the belt based on other threads I've seen however I'm now getting a little resistance when turning the tensioner bolt so and I am getting worried about breaking something or doing damage.

Is it normal to get a bit of resistance on the tensioner bolt? I am tempted to get this (http://www.amazon.com/OTC-6673-Universa ... B000I198J0) to see if the tension on the belts is right...

Can anyone comment on what they think I should do?

(Sorry for the Essay!)

I have not if I'm honest. I was focusing on the main belt due to the problems I had getting it to fit originally (needed a smaller belt by 5mm) I'll give that one a go as well.

I think i'll be buying something similar to the product in the above link to ensure the correct tension. It cant hurt to have it if I do the belts in the future!

Cool, well to answer your original question the bolts will start feel tight as the tension increases so that is normal. A good rule my old man taught me many years ago is that you should only just be able to twist the belt 90 degrees along its' longest run. I followed the same rule with my gates belts the other day and they are fine thus far, though will probably need a nip up after they've been run for a couple of weeks.

Jon