Electrical Motor Repair - Very Noisy - HELP

JackStrong

Hi everyone

I recently bought a second hand massage chair, works great apart from it was very noisy. My older brother has exactly the same model and his is noticeably quieter. Today I took apart the chair to find the source of the noise: (commentary because the video was made for my brother to see)

So its the motor.

I disassembled it:

IMG_0739.jpg

Carbon bushes come easily out, just fixed to the outer casing with springs pushing them:

IMG_0740-1.jpg

So how can i find out whats wrong with it so i can make it quiet again ?

I have some electrical knowledge but am not confident with this sort of thing. I tried to fix the 350z window motor dirty bushes but ended up breaking it in frustration, not being able to put it back in :angry:

I have tried contacting the company but there in america and are useless at communication

Help is highly appreciated!x

Have you run the motor without the threaded rod engaged? Lube the gears. Is the comm clean? The bit that spins round under the carbon brushs. May have a missing comm piece or a couple may be standing higher than the rest of them.

Bearings maybe shot on the motor, if they are not sealed for life bearings, you can drop a bit of 3 in 1 oil on them and see if it helps.

If they are sealed for life, just prise out the dust guard and add oil. Throw away the dust guard cos you won't get it back in.