12v pc fans, good with electrics? get in here!

Dblock

I'm needing some help please.

I need 2 or 3 12v pc fans for cooling a control unit. Its not in a pc and I cant get a normal pc powersupply to it.

Nerdy bit...

Now I need a high cfm fan. I used to have a delta fan and it was awesome! On full blast it would cool my pc down great. ( I needed a good fan as my old case was rubbish) But now there are pretty expensive and the Scythe Gentle Typhoon's seem to be the high cfm fans of choice now. Are they any higher cfm cheaper fans out there?

I also need a fan conrtoller as sometimes the control boxes wont be used and I would like to be able to control how fast the fans are going as I intend to get the 5450rpm model :lol:. Also I cant remember how it works do the fans plug into the fan controller and that dishes out the power or do they plug into the fan controller but you put something else on the wire so it plugs into the fan controller and it gets power from a molex adapter.

Non nerdy bit...

So how can I wire up a fan controller and 2/3 fans with no pc power supply unit. There is already 1 ebm papst fan in it so I'm sure it can be done. The ebm papst fan is very far away from where the other fans need to go btw.

Tall order there! You may need a thermistor and a rotary resistance pot too control the fan speeds, assume you want them to all come on at the same time?

There is a table on resistance Vs temp, 138 ohms is 100C IIRC.

Can you use an old adaptor that has a 12V output? Something like a keyboard adaptor?

Good luck.

Hey dblock,

Funny you should mention this as I have just sold my gaming rig and the only bits I have left are the fans and fan controller lol.

The fans use the 3 pin to plug into the fan controller and then you just need to power the fan controller not each fan individually. You can also daisy chain all the fans together and have them all contolled by one knob (he he knob) or you can wire them up to three knobs and control them all individually obviously.

The fans I bought were very high CFM I think they were made by XLF IIRC

Can upload a pic for you if you want to see the connections on the fan controller if this would help at all :thumbs:

Here is the fan controller

65b61971.jpg

It's powered by molex which in turn powers your fans via three pin

241bdfb3.jpg

These are the fans they are actually made by xigmatech, check them out they have more CFM that the gentle typhoons and are quieter :)

b286c574.jpg

And this is what they look like if you were to daisy chain 3 :D

96170879.jpg