Chip repair advice needed

soimafreak

I brought my car a couple of years ago and the previous owner had managed to drive it into something and pick up a lot of roadrash. In additon to that since i've had it someone very kindly scraped all down the drivers side of the bumper (looks like they were trying to get out of a space and decided going into reverse was too hard...)

Either way, my bumper is pretty shocking and I do a fair few motorway miles so have a number of stone chips, so I thought last weekend that this weekend would be a good time to have a go with the halfords stone chip pens.

I tested it on a small area just as it says to use it and it looks as bad as I thought it would, a few lumpy black spots rater than hollow white spots, so still an improvement.

After reading: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=61434 what I'm wondering is... is it worth using some wet and dry on top of the stone chip remover with some compound & wax afterwards to try and flatten the marks out or am I asking for trouble by even thinking of it ?

The thing that is specifically bothering me is it is a non-lacquered paint so i'm worried that rubbing it down will flatten it and it won't come back to a gloss.

I decided to "have a go" with various methods...

sanding the primer and applying paint,

sanding primer and paint and applying yet more

and just applying primer and paint

In short they all look equally shocking close up so it was kind of pointless having the extra effort of cutting back the laquer / polishing (hurt my arm :( ) but it does look better from a few feet away which is nice.

I forgot to take a picture before I started but I found an old photo from a year ago and you can just see the damage around the washer and some scratches to the right of the reflector where the bumper starts to curve

350-compare.jpg